Thread: Version 2.1 Reverses Personal and Enterprise Security

Default Version 2.1 Reverses Personal and Enterprise Security

I have used InSSIDer for several years and very much like the product. It is excellent, accurate, and even better it's free!

I recently updated to version 2.1 and very much like the new GUI, but noticed that it reverses the security labels for Personal and Enterprise (ex. WPA-PSK shows up as Enterprise security). I checked the configs but could not find anywhere to fix this. Has anyone else seen this?

2. Default

Thank you for reporting this. Can you verify that the latest version is showing the incorrect values, or is it possible the old version was incorrect? I know the old version definitely misdiagnosed security types and we tried to adjust it in the latest release.

Yes, I was doing a scan at a site with separate SSIDs for PCs (WPA-EAP/TLS -- Enterprise) and iOS devices (WPA2-PSK -- Personal -- due to iOS limitations). I've verified the SSIDs are configured in this manner with InSSIDer 2.0, my WLAN connectivity client, the Android wireless client, and an Android based wireless scanner.

The PC SSID is showing "WPA-Personal" and the iOS SSID is showing "WPA2-Enterprise". This contradicts the information provided by all of the other scanners.

Is there any additional information I can provide which would help?
    Last edited by herbsleb; 02-20-2012 at 12:39 PM.

4. Default

What vendor hardware are you using?

I'm using an Intel wireless card and the APs I'm scanning are a mix (multiple APs for each SSID) of Cisco and Nortel devices.

I haven't heard anything back on this issue -- is there any additional information I can provide to help figure out what's going wrong?

Thanks,

herbsleb,

This issue has been made aware to our developers, though I am unable to let you know the status of it. There are a lot of projects going on (especially with the new release of Eye P.A.).

Stephen

I am using Inssider v2.1 (I have not used earlier versions).

I have a TRENDnet 450Mbps wi-fi router (model TEW-691GR) set to WPA2-Personal.

I have been using inssider 2.1 on an HP Elitebook 8440p notebook with Windows 7 Professional (it has an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN wi-fi adapter). The insidder stats report the router correctly as WPA2-Personal.

I also have an Acer AOA150 netbook using Windows XP home edition (uses Atheros AR5007EG wi-fi adapter) and this reports the same router as WPA2-Enterprise. (there is a NET Framwork updating issue on this computer!).

It is consistent in that every day and every time they report the same settings.

Hope this helps to narrow down the issue.

Hi -

Just downloaded inSSIDer 2.1 to use on an old laptop with a new USB wireless adapter. I saw this problem for the first time. Then I checked two other machines with inSSIDer 2.1 and they were OK. Thought I'd add my findings to this thread.

Basic setup:

inSSIDer 2.1
    EA4500 Linksys router set to WPA2-Personal

This system has the problem:

inSSIDer 2.1.4.1391
    Linksys AE2500 USB adapter, 2.4/5 GHz, Wireless-N (supports A/B/G/N)
    used on:
    Toshiba Satellite P100, Windows XP Professional, SP3, 32-bit
    WPA2-Enterprise is incorrect for both 2.4 and 5 GHz

These two are OK:

inSSIDer 2.1.1.13
    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, 2.4/5 GHz - WPA2-Personal is correct for both 2.4 and 5 GHz
    Lenovo x220t, Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

inSSIDer 2.1.4.1391
    Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC, only 2.4 GHz - WPA2-Personal is correct
    Toshiba Qosmio X505, Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
    The Linksys AE2500 USB adapter, 2.4/5 GHz, Wireless-N (supports A/B/G/N) gives the correct WPA2-Personal on this computer.

The system with the problem is using a USB wireless adapter while the two OK systems are using internal adapters. However, I just checked that USB adapter on a different computer and the problem was not there. So it is not that adapter.

- Vivian