Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sonos wi-fi signal

Default You need STP support in the router when using more than one wired sonos device

I had various problems with sonos devices when using more than one wired connection.

Sonos uses STP to avoid network loops.
    This only works if there is a bridge master 'above' the sonos devices that can see each other via multiple pathes.
    I believe Sonos assumes that there will only be one sonos device with a wired connection. This device is than acting as STP root bridge . You can see that from the matrix that you can see via http://<sonosnodeIP>:1400/support/review.

If there are two or more sonos devices using wired connections, the one sonos device acting as root bridge cannot block the access to the other 2 via the wired connections, i.e. causing network loops.

In these situations you need a LAN switch/router supporting STP and being able to set the 'credits' for links used to connect sonos devices. The 'path cost' value for the ports used to connect sonos devices need to be set to something like 20 for sonos STP mechanism to work properly. Otherwise sonos will favour wireless over wired connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    I have been reading through this post as it covers some of my concerns regarding problems I have been experiencing with my Sonos.

Brief description of the setup:

Draytek Vigor 2830n adsl router acting as a DHCP controller, switch, WAP.

Draytek Vigor 800 access point in AP mode, wired to the router and acting as a bridge to extend the wifi signal into the garden. This has a separate SSID, the same security and password and it uses a different channel than the 2830n.

7 Sonos zones. Three of which are wired, four of them are wireless. Two Sonos controllers.

The problem: using a Sonos controller, I can see and operate all 7 Sonos although not I the garden as it is too far from a Sonos for the signal. Therefore to listen to music in the garden zones, I use the Sonos app on my iPad. Using the Sonos app on my iPad I can often see only 5 of the Sonos, one of which is wired to the network via the wired Draytek 800 bridge, the other three are wireless. Oddly, I cannot see the other two Sonos that are wired directly to the main router.

Using the Fing app on my iPad, I can see all of the devices and their ip's on the network and I can ping them all.

This problem sometimes seems to occur after I have been in the garden using the Sonos app on my iPad and connected to the garden SSID and then return back into the house. The next time I open the Sonos app I lose the two Sonos from the app.

I am wondering if this had to do with the fact that the two APs are on different channels? I was told to keep them on separate channels to avoid interference, but if one is only acting as a bridge passing on signals from the one network, perhaps the different channels is more of a hindrance with meshed devices. This kind of makes sense to me as the wired device I see is connected to the bridge AP and the other wireless ones are probably meshing with this wired one, all on the same channel. For a Sonos controller, this does not seem to be a problem but for the Sonos app on the iPad it is.

Any guidance or insights would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Doug

I have 2 sonos connected wirelessly to my home network as well as 3 hard wired players. I had numerous connectivity issues until I disabled the WiFi on all the hard wired players except one. This guide explains how to do it.
    As a bonus my wireless network is now significantly faster because of the reduced interference.
    Last edited by Amit; 04-26-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12