Thread: Altering the color scheme, is it possible?

Question Altering the color scheme, is it possible?

Didn't know if this should be a support issue (for the current version) or a potential feature addition, but is it or would it be possible to get some option for altering the color scheme for inSSIDer? I love the app, it's simple enough to do exactly what it's supposed to do, and I appreciate it being a free app too, but the default color scheme is - in my opinion - pretty bad. I don't well with bright text on extremely dark (or black, for that matter) backgrounds, the contrast makes it really hard to read.

I have a preference for bright(er) backgrounds, like grey (I'm boring, yes I know) and then darker text on top. Never was a fan of black backgrounds for anything, but that's just me.

I had hoped there would be a config file that a simple text editor might be able to do something with, some variable of some kind in a file like a CSS style sheet or whatever, but there doesn't seem to be any option or any way to make any changes at all outside of using something like ResourceHacker to directly edit the .exe file.

If that's the only method and someone knows the specific changes that need to be made, I'd be grateful for the info, but I'm hoping someone from MetaGeek itself might offer some knowledge.

Seems like something people would want, but then again, that's an assumption so I could get in trouble for it.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help, and thanks to MetaGeek for a great app (that could be just a bit better with some ability to change some scheme options like fonts and their sizes, etc).

Tiberian,

You don't need to edit the .exe file using any third party programs, you can get the source code for inSSIDer at https://github.com/metageek-llc/inSSIDer-2

It isn't only one method however. Each part has it's own UI design. Just look in MetaScanner.UI and you can find the options you wish to change in there.

Stephen

As I'm not a coder/developer/programmer, that ends up meaning nothing to me since I don't have the tools necessary to do a complete compile of that code.

Easier to find what I'm looking for with ResourceHacker I think, but thanks for the info just the same.

I see. Well, as far as the themes for our products go, that's up to our UMX guy who creates the mock-ups and the design of how the program will look. I'll throw this into his suggestions box. Though since inSSIDer is a free program, I'm not sure how much attention it will get

Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-17-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I see. Well, as far as the themes for our products go, that's up to our UMX guy who creates the mock-ups and the design of how the program will look. I'll throw this into his suggestions box. Though since inSSIDer is a free program, I'm not sure how much attention it will get

Stephen
    I think there are three things that need to be recognized here:

1) various parts of the current color scheme are all but illegible. Can you tell me what the buttons say in this dialog box?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	724

2) based upon experiences with your free products, people are making purchase decisions regarding your commercial products.

3) the current dark color scheme of your products presents a rather gloomy impression of your company.

Just a comment, but maybe, just maybe, you might need a more cheerful UMX guy, instead of the gloom and doom goth one you have.

NotColorBlind,

This is interesting as this isn't our color scheme of inSSIDer... our color scheme is the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inSSIDerTheme.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	736

There must be something up with your system theme.

Stephen

I had hoped there would be a config file that a simple text editor might be able to do something with, some variable of some kind in a file like a CSS style sheet or whatever, but there doesn't seem to be any option or any way to make any changes at all outside of using something like ResourceHacker to directly edit the .exe file.