Thread: Amplitude jumping

Default Amplitude jumping

My amplitude is jumping not sure why,this is what inSSIDer shows its seems the signal is overlapped and the amplitude jumps -40 to -50,sorry if my questions are a bit vague i am just a beginner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inssider image.png 
Views:	260 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	652 graph

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insidder 2.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	658
    Last edited by purebokety; 03-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Hi purebokety,

from a quick look at your snapshots it appears to me that you have
    a couple of ap's sharing the same channel - notice the different
    colours|colors on the graph - a different color for each ap (access point)

i'm not sure if this answers your question

if not please elaborate the question a bit

cheers

Thanks for your help,i have a desktop where the modem is connected a laptop connected wirelessly and a ps3 and x box all connected(is each of these an access point),the reason i was posting is the laptop which is old now is extremely slow with its wireless connection,its a dell xps gen 2 running windows 7,i think the wireless card may be beyond outdated and causing the slow connection, the wireless card in question is an intel (r) pro/ wireless 2200bg network connection which perhaps may have last been seen attached to a dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by purebokety View Post
    Thanks for your help,i have a desktop where the modem is connected a laptop connected wirelessly and a ps3 and x box all connected(is each of these an access point),the reason i was posting is the laptop which is old now is extremely slow with its wireless connection,its a dell xps gen 2 running windows 7,i think the wireless card may be beyond outdated and causing the slow connection, the wireless card in question is an intel (r) pro/ wireless 2200bg network connection which perhaps may have last been seen attached to a dinosaur
    An access point is what you connect your 'clients' to - the laptop, the ps3 and the eggsbox. Usually the access point is a wireless router, although it can also be a dedicated wireless device. In your case, it looks like the two signals you are referring to are from the same router, and it is set up to have more than one SSID - one of which is hidden. The MAC Addresses are sequential for the red and orange traces, which is why I believe this. The SSID for the visible connection is UPC499928.

Do you have one of those newer ASUS routers that can have multiple networks, like the RT-N53 or RT-N56U? Maybe you want to turn off the second network. It will be less confusing, perhaps...

thanks for that i thought one of my neighbours was getting very cheeky and had hacked my wirless network ,hence the doubling of the signals i will look into the solution you have given me
    thanks again for the reply