Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help. Very high ping rates leading to slow interent connection.

Default Need Help. Very high ping rates leading to slow interent connection.

Hi

I have a wireless n router (dlink wireless N dir 655 router) and I am getting crazy ping rates and I am not sure if this is because of interference by other wireless networks (I live in an apartment so there seems to be alot of networks).

I can ping my router and I will get one ping <1ms, 50ms, 1000ms, 300ms and it is killing my speed. I feel like I am on dialup eventhough I got highspeed dsl.

I uploaded my log from inssider and hoping someone can help me find a solution to this.

logging.zip - 28.7 KB
    Last edited by chobo2; 03-10-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Hello chobo2,

Quick question, what channel are you broadcasting on? I just ask because I see Channels 1, 6, and 11 each have 6-8 APs on them which is a lot to fight through. I also see that channels 2, 4, 7, 9, and 10 have 0 APs on them and channels 3, 5, and 8 have 2 or less APs on them.

In summary, you are fighting a lot of APs. I would say your best bet is to switch to 5ghz or use channel 4 as there are no APs on that channel and it will receive less overlap from the other channels.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Hello chobo2,

Quick question, what channel are you broadcasting on? I just ask because I see Channels 1, 6, and 11 each have 6-8 APs on them which is a lot to fight through. I also see that channels 2, 4, 7, 9, and 10 have 0 APs on them and channels 3, 5, and 8 have 2 or less APs on them.

In summary, you are fighting a lot of APs. I would say your best bet is to switch to 5ghz or use channel 4 as there are no APs on that channel and it will receive less overlap from the other channels.
    The router is set to automatically find the best channel and use that. I started to watch this on a daily basis as for the last couple days it been choosing channel 11 what seems to be good.

I have no clue how it chooses the best channel but obviously that day it choose a very bad one. So I am going to monitor it. What I don't get too is that one connect (71E785) and how it's ping is just shooting up consonantly. I don't know what is up with that one and not sure that one is causing problems for me.

The auto set generally chooses between the channels 1, 6, and 11 because these are the channels with no overlap. I still have yet to find a router that would auto choose channel 4...

I would just recommend trying channel 4 out and see what happens. Also, if you would like, you could attach screenshots of what you are seeing on your end. The .gpx file actually doesn't open up in inSSIDer. I got my info from using Tyler's inSSIDerGPXStats program.

The auto set generally chooses between the channels 1, 6, and 11 because these are the channels with no overlap. I still have yet to find a router that would auto choose channel 4...

I would just recommend trying channel 4 out and see what happens. Also, if you would like, you could attach screenshots of what you are seeing on your end. The .gpx file actually doesn't open up in inSSIDer. I got my info from using Tyler's inSSIDerGPXStats program.
    Oh I did not know that. I will post some screenshots when I am at my computer again. Does it randomly choose between channel 1,6, and 11? Or how does it choose which of those 3 to use?

I am not aware of the firmware/software of modems/routers. Basically, though, I would assume that it contains some algorithms which account for things like RSSI, Channel, overlap, etc. and decides which Channel is better to be used. I just know from the several routers I have had, they always select between 1, 6, and 11 only when it's on auto.

I am not aware of the firmware/software of modems/routers. Basically, though, I would assume that it contains some algorithms which account for things like RSSI, Channel, overlap, etc. and decides which Channel is better to be used. I just know from the several routers I have had, they always select between 1, 6, and 11 only when it's on auto.
    Hmm well I would not put it past my router(seems like almost ever feature is broken and does not really word as advertised).

Here are some screenshots over the last couple days.

March 14th Channel 6 Auto Chosen

March 15th Channel 11 Auto Chosen

As you can see it seems very good and I had no problems.

Weird Router that seems to cause me some trouble.

Yesterday(March 16th) it put me on channel 1 and it was hell. I lost 3 out of 4 packets and the one packet that made it through had a ping of over 1000+.....and this was just trying to ping the router.

Channel 1 Manual Set March 16- 1/

Channel 1 Manual Set March 16- 2

Channel 1 Manual Set March 16- 3

Channel 11 Manual Set March 16 - 1

Channel 11 Manual Set March 17
    Last edited by chobo2; 03-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.

I would definitely say to stay off of Channel 1 haha. Seems like 11 seems to work well for you. -50dBm is not bad at all.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is better to have Co-Channel Interference than Adjacent channel interference.
    If you are fighting competing APs on the same channel, the client and AP can hear packets on it's channel will actually help reduce the retry rate, as they can hear other clients announce how long they will be transmitting for and remain silent during that period. Adjacent channel interference is not understandable by either the AP nor Client and generally leads to worse retry rates as they will be trying to talk over the interference.

While neither form of interference is desirable, Co-Channel is always better than Adjacent Channel
    So the rule of thumb is only use channels 1, 6, 11 (At least for North America)

***Note: I have seen Ruckus has a feature called ChannelFly which is intended to help minimize adjacent channel interference. I have not evaluated their claims, but probably doesn't apply in most residential environments.

jsnyder,

This is a good point which I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding. If channel 1 is very busy and channel 2 is slightly busy, there is still quite a bit of overlap from channel 1 and even a little bit from channel 6. When I pick my channels I try to stick to 1, 3, 6, 9, and 11 for some simple reasons. 1, 6 and 11 have no overlap with each other, however, if you are in a sub division or an area with a ton of people which have wireless networks, they are generally all over these channels. Channels 3, and 9 receive some overlapping interference from these channels, however, depending on how far your neighbors are, could have less interference going on and be a better choice.

When it comes to setting up multiple AP's, you want to keep them on channels 1, 6 and 11 as stacking them on all the channels would be bad! So I would agree with jsnyder when it comes to AP's which are fairly close to each other, but if your neighbors network is at a good distance away, you will pick up a little overlapping interference from them on channels 3 or 9, so adjacent channel interference isn't something to worry about too much. It's only when the AP's are close enough to scream at each other when it becomes a problem.

Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-06-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast