Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help. Very high ping rates leading to slow interent connection.

Let me do some quick math

We have 11 channels, each 5Mhz wide. For 802.11, you need 22Mhz for a channel. Picking channel 1 means you center your 22MHz channel on channel 1, i.e., you will actually use all the way up through channel 3.

You are correct that there is less utilization on Channel 3, however utilization does not equate performance i.e. throughput. If you do some performance testing, you will find that in times of contention you will have better performance using only 1,6,11 as you can understand the signals in your collision domain. Now you are sharing that domain with other users, but being able to understand when others are talking will result in less packet retrys and thus nets you higher throughput.

Now the same isn't necessarily true when the interference is non-wifi, as the wireless client will not understand what a microwave says.

So while you can use channels with lower utilization, you will be fighting channels 1,6,11 regardless and will actually have better throughput utilizing a channel with higher duty-cycle.
    Last edited by jsnyder81; 04-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.

I have a wireless n router (dlink wireless N dir 655 router) and I am getting crazy ping rates and I am not sure if this is because of interference by other wireless networks (I live in an apartment so there seems to be alot of networks).

I can ping my router and I will get one ping <1ms, 50ms, 1000ms, 300ms and it is killing my speed. I feel like I am on dialup eventhough I got highspeed dsl.

Default inSSIDER is the cause of weird pings when open

Quote Originally Posted by john05 View Post
    I have a wireless n router (dlink wireless N dir 655 router) and I am getting crazy ping rates and I am not sure if this is because of interference by other wireless networks (I live in an apartment so there seems to be alot of networks).

I can ping my router and I will get one ping <1ms, 50ms, 1000ms, 300ms and it is killing my speed. I feel like I am on dialup eventhough I got highspeed dsl.

Hi Guys,

inSSIDER is a great tool, but I have narrowed down weird ping issues while it is running. I spent the last couple weeks trying to troubleshoot my wireless and found the following symptoms:

I have 100% signal to my wireless router, tested this with multiple machines. All windows 8.1.

- at time when inSSIDer is open I can see a steady smooth line signal then weird spikes, the spikes continue then will smooth out sometimes. Most of the time it bounces up and down +- 5db
    - While open I run ping tests in the back ground and much of the time it is in the 30-50ms range, but then I will see every second ping with a very high ping i.e. 400+ms, sometimes 1000+ms
    - I have see every single ping 2000ms + when a second test machine will be at 40-50ms
    - also have seen no issue at all for many hours at a time , pings steady 40-50ms

Then it dawned on me to close inSSIDER - problem instantly goes away. Having this app open is definitely the cause of my weird pings and throughput issues.

CPU utilization is normal average 0.48

When I look at packet captures via wireshark ICMP packets looks normal, comparing a good ping vs bad ping.

Version 3.0.7.48

inSSIDer communicates with your wireless card continuously in order to gather/update data for every channel, not just the one you are using. This activity keeps the wireless card very busy. Use it to select the best channel then close it. inSSIDer is not a tool to run continuously.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12