Thread: Throughput effect with signals on same vs. adjacent channels

Default Throughput effect with signals on same vs. adjacent channels

Examples such as "Lots of Wifi" in Channelizer Lite mentions that throughput is negatively affected for all APs when there are many operating on adjacent channels (with lots of overlapping). So, I'm wondering if throughput is reduced when, for example, there are two APs, both on the same channel with no overlapping? Is throughput reduced with several APs, but all of them are on 1, 6, 11?

Hey Dawei,

In an ideal world we would hope to be the sole broadcaster/receiver in a channel
    with no overlap from either side.

As has been previously noted: an "automatic" channel selection on a router will
    only select from channels 1, 6 & 11.

There is usually a manual way of selecting
    the least populated and least overlapped channel.

cheers

Dawei,

Just to kind of add to what mayim said, when it comes down to it, there are only three channels with no overlap. Those channels are 1, 6, and 11. This is why a router's automatic channel selection will select from these channels. So, if you have a bunch of people on the same channels, throughput will be reduced because you have a bunch of wireless signals battling through a bunch of other wireless signals on the same channel. Think of it like going to a party where a lot of people are in the same house. It's hard to move around right? But if you went to a party and you were the only one there, it's pretty easy to get around

With my wireless router in my own house, I stay away from channels 1, 6, and 11 for that reason. I live in a subdivision with about 20 AP's in my area. Out of the 20 AP's in my area, about 6 are on channel 1, 8 are on channel 6, and 6 are on channel 11. I am the only on on channel 8 and it's beautiful

Stephen

Many thanks for your replies, Mayim and Stephen. Your description of your home WiFi environment makes for a really clear explanation, Stephen!

While the short description that goes with the Channelizer example called Lotsa WiFi makes the point about how all the APs experience a reduced throughput from all that adjacent channel interference, it doesn't address the situation with more than one AP on the SAME channel.

It makes sense that there also has to be some reduction in throughput with more than one AP on the same channel, since interference can come from either APs on your AP's channel or from other APs operating on nearby channels, due to the spread spectrum nature of Wifi LANs.

So, thanks again.

Dawei,

Always glad to help

Stephen