Thread: Defective Netgear WNDR4500????

Default Defective Netgear WNDR4500????

Hi guys,
    I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to networking and i just found inSSIDer 2.1. I think I may have a new but DEFECTIVE Netgear WNDR4500 router . My old DLink DL-655 N router always showed a Windows connection speed of 65Mbps at the laptop. As soon as I replaced it with the Netgear, the connection speed increased to 72Mbps, which I think is quite anemic for a connection three ft away from the dual band router and, thus, probably not using the channel bonding (or whatever it's called). From most indications, the Netgear is broadcsting on both bands - 2.4G green lt & 5G blue lt, router software shows (2) SSID - NETGEAR93 & NETGEAR-5G. However, inSSIDer shows only the 2G transmitter SSID (NETGEAR93) although both SSIDs are set to "broadcast". If I enable the 2G guest network, inSSIDer shows that also but if I enable the 5G guest network it doesn't show up in inSSIDer. If I disable the 2G transmitter within the router software and leave the 5G transmitter operative, the laptop will not connect and shows NO connection available. Also, inSSIDer sees no SSID from the NG4500 in this case. The laptop is a Samsung RF710 with a Broadcom N wifi card. I have WMM enabled & speeds set at 450 (using 217 makes no difference) with security set at WPA2-PSK [AES]. I have tried everything I can think of and the connection speed remains at 72Mbps.

Does anyone have any ideas or need further info to determine whether I, indeed, have a defective router? I just purchased it about 10 days ago and can still RMA it

Thanks in advance
    FredF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inSSIDer View.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	678
    Last edited by ffresh; 04-02-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add attachment

Are you sure that the Broadcom N WiFi card supports 5 GHz? inSSIDer can only report what the adapter sees. With regard to the connection speed on the 4500, what speed do you have the mode set to? See under Wireless Settings / Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) / Mode. HTH.

As far as I can tell the Samsung RF710 does NOT have 5 GHz capability because it does not support 802.11a. The wireless cards with which I am familiar that support 5 GHz bands support a/b/g/n. 802.11a operates on the 5 GHz band. The 2.4 GHz only wireless cards support b/g/n. 802.11n does not imply 5 GHz frequency support, only support for the "n" protocols.

Channel bonding must be explicitly configured. The default is no bonding. IMO bonding is not practical on the 2.4 GHz band because of congestion.

MDBill & ua549,
    Thanks for the replies. I have since come to realize that the Sammy RF710 only has the 2.4G capability & after a written conversation with their tech support, its max speed is 72Mbps. I have taken the laptop apart (and reassembled it) and will, most likely, replace the card with a dual band/bluetooth Intel 6235 card http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ed-n-6235.html I'd like to do the 6300 but it has NO bluetooth

FredF