Thread: cant see 5 ghz freq with 2 diffrent N adaptors

Default cant see 5 ghz freq with 2 diffrent N adaptors

I've got a Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter in one laptop and a Antheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n adapter in another and neither one can see the 5 GHZ signal with the inSSIDer software. i was begining to doubt that the router was transmitting till i hooked up a linksys bridge Linksys WES610N, it shows the 5 GHZ signal and can connect to it.

not sure if there is any way to see the freq's with just win7, as it just shows the ssid and not which channel.

the Antheros one is in a brand new laptop, with no other software installed yet.

any help would be appreciated,

Neither the Realtek RTL8188CE nor the Antheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n are dual band devices. They only work on the 2.4 GHz band. The 802.11n specification is a protocol. It does not imply 5 GHz capabilities.

inSSIDer can only see the signals that the wireless adapter and OS sees.

Default I look to see if it supports 802.11a to determine if it has 5 g support

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Neither the Realtek RTL8188CE nor the Antheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n are dual band devices. They only work on the 2.4 GHz band. The 802.11n specification is a protocol. It does not imply 5 GHz capabilities.

inSSIDer can only see the signals that the wireless adapter and OS sees.
    I look to see if it supports 802.11a to determine if it has 5 g support