Thread: Client finder (e.g. Fing) for Win7?

Default Client finder (e.g. Fing) for Win7?

Does MetaGeek or anyone else have a tool that reports all the clients in a WLAN? I have Fing and iNet on my iPhone (though I'm suspecting all Fing does is ping every host in a subnet, so it's just an IP-level scan) -- any Wi-Fi tools to report clients (instead of APs)?

thanks,
    noemi

I look at a consolidated syslog from AP's. (Syslogs are forwarded to a syslog server.)
    Some AP's will show a client list via web interface. It is easy if there aren't too many AP's.

One can also use SNMP and MIB II data to retrieve log information.
    A handy free tool using MIB's is called MRTG. It takes a bit of effort to get it up and running, but it isn't difficult.

MIB's can be found at mibsearch.com.

MRTG can be found at oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/download.en.html.

I use MRTG to feed a web page that displays graphs about my network and critical server performance objects from Windows Performance Monitor. I've never tracked clients, but it can be done if there are MIB's for your AP's.

Actually, I meant finding clients from the air, if you don't have access to the APs or the wired network. It's a different story if you do! Tools like inSSIDer or Wi-Fi Scanner show the APs, but not the clients. For some reason I think there's an Android app, but, not sure.

thanks,
    noemi

What's wrong with using Fing?
    On my home network the Windows 7 version of Fing it picked up all 10 wireless clients including the PC's, TV, Blueray and audio receiver.
    It seems to do what you want.

Fing is really slow if there are a lot of clients. Also, it seems to work at the IP level, so if you have more than one SSID that shares one giant IP subnet, you can't tell which clients are in which SSID. Probe request frames have more information in them, like SSID and supported rates, and that'd be nice to know. My iPhone version of Fing also seems to report client type only for Apple clients.

So sure, for a home network it'd be fine, but in a much higher-density environment with more SSIDs, it'd be nice to get a picture of the client landscape, if you don't have access to the APs or controllers.

thanks,
    noemi

This presents some challenges in that the client won't know where to go for windows updates etc, but we can help it find those updates with a Server Locator Point by Installing that role on our SCCM server.

Note: You must have created a Deployment Management Task containing windows updates applicable for the OS you are installing in your Build and Capture task sequence, and the Deployment Management Task must be targetted to a collection that your build and capture computer will be in during OSD deployment. A suitable collection would be the Deploy Windows 7 Collection
    THANKS

What you want to do is best accomplished using wifi hotspot software such as what is used by retail establishments to detect wifi enabled cell phones. Basically the software records wi-fi mac addresses broadcast by clients.
    Old Mod by the Sea

8. Default

MetaGeek doesn't offer any client location tools at this time, but we'd really like to come up with a solution in the future!