Thread: Laptop connects to wireless router just fine, but new Android phone drops connection

Angry Laptop connects to wireless router just fine, but new Android phone drops connection

Hello everyone, nice to meet you, thanks for taking the time to read this and answer if you can. My laptop keeps a connection to the wireless router just fine, however, my new Android phone drops the connection every few minutes. I downloaded INSIDER to help diagnose what was wrong, and I noticed that 3 other routers in my neighborhood were broadcasting on the same channel. I changed channels and my Android phone was able to keep a connection for a little longer. It still drops it, and I need to know if anyone knows how to fix it.

I will keep asking around a post an answer when I find one, thanks again.

Lightbulb Found an answer, use WiFi Static to fix the problem

I found the answer, you have to download "WiFi Static" from the Play Store so that it can set a static IP on your phone, that dynamic DHCP settings does not work in my version of Android. I think the new Ice Cream will be fixed.

You didn't mention the phone model, but there is a power saving setting to turn off wi-fi when the screen times out. That may be your issue. I have not had any wi-fi issues on my Galaxy S (Captivate) running ICS 4.04.

Cool No my phone is not the latest Android ICS 4

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    You didn't mention the phone model, but there is a power saving setting to turn off wi-fi when the screen times out. That may be your issue. I have not had any wi-fi issues on my Galaxy S (Captivate) running ICS 4.04.
    I have the LG Connect and the WiFi would get dropped every few minutes, while I was using it.

Quote Originally Posted by eXcalib3r View Post
    Hello everyone, nice to meet you, thanks for taking the time to read this and answer if you can. My laptop keeps a connection to the wireless router just fine, however, my new Android phone drops the connection every few minutes. I downloaded INSIDER to help diagnose what was wrong, and I noticed that 3 other routers in my neighborhood were broadcasting on the same channel. I changed channels and my Android phone was able to keep a connection for a little longer. It still drops it, and I need to know if anyone knows how to fix it.

I will keep asking around a post an answer when I find one, thanks again.
    Hi, I am running into the same issues with my Android phone dropping connection when I attempt to make calls. I have tried a number of different things, and nothing is working for me on my. I am very frustrated, and would like to know if you were able to figure out a work around for this. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by stevej89; 05-21-2015 at 09:50 PM.

I had the same dropout problem with an inferior brand of tablet and found that the wireless configuration for that specific tablet was "G" where I am running wireless "N". Albeit, my new Acer Iconia Android tablet has no connection problems at all.

It looks I have a similar problem, but my AP is set to work on both G/N. My notebooks and smartphones connect to wi-fi just fine, but my cheap Android 4.0 tablet need to be close to the AP else it tells "network out of range". Sometimes it connects but all apps get "connection timeouts" from TCP. Already tried changing the channel and moving the AP to a location closer to the center of my office. Any ideas of what to do to get better wifi from the tablet?