Thread: Is there a way to determine what band a device is using if the SSID's are the same?

Default Is there a way to determine what band a device is using if the SSID's are the same?

If I have a 5GHz and 2.4GHz network using the same SSID is there any way I
    can tell which band a device is using?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Each device has a unique mac address that is contained in the upper display panel of iSSIDer.
    The channel numbers in the 5 MHz band range from 36 to 165 whereas the 2.4 GHz channel range from 1 to 14.

I need to see that band for a device other than the one running inSSIDer.
    In my display I see the mac addresses for all the routers that inSSIDer sees. And their channel numbers.
    At the very top of the window it gives some information about the adapter where inSSIDer is running.
    But I don't see a channel number there. Or a mac address.

If you want to know what band an adapter is using, look in the adapter/connection properties.
    How you do it depends on the operating system. You can't view wireless clients using inSSIDer.

Got it!
    I believe I need to look at Eye P.A. to do what I want.

Why not just rename the 5ghz one to name5ghz and the 2.4ghz one to name24ghz? Then you would know which one your device is connected to...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Why not just rename the 5ghz one to name5ghz and the 2.4ghz one to name24ghz? Then you would know which one your device is connected to...
    That is a simple but brilliant solution!