Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.0 ghz CHANNEL

Default 5.0 ghz CHANNEL

:CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CONNECT ON THE 5.0 ghz CHANNEL, AS THERE'S NO ONE ON IT AROUND HERE. THANKS

2. Default

It is up to your wireless card to make that decision. Some client software will allow you to prefer 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz. Look for the software on the vendor's software.

thanx, trent. Do you by any chance know the url for realtek, I can't find it anywhere

thanx, but I've being trying realtek.com, but I get Oops! Page Not Found

Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.; this is what I mean when I say I can't find it

I don't have any trouble getting to the Realtek site at www.realtek.com.

What model nic do you have? Who is the manufacturer?
    Not all 802.11n nics are capable of using the 5 GHz band.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Realtek.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	412.7 KB 
ID:	738  
    Last edited by ua549; 07-25-2012 at 04:41 PM.

finally, but only when I try from the link you posted, and not when I type the url. I use a GMYLE (TM) Wireless N/G 802.11n/g USB WiFi WLAN Network Adapter (Realtek RTL8191US) with high gain 5dBi Antenna Up to 300Mbps with a 9 dbi antenna; I only paid about $9.00 for it, but it picks up 20 AP's around here; the most I ever saw. Those name brand adapters can't compare to my budget adapter, thanx again

According to the specs only the 2.4 GHz band is supported by your device. It cannot use the 5 GHz band.
    Keep in mind that 802.11n implies a protocol, not a frequency band.
    An easy way to differentiate is to see if a device supports 802.11a. It only uses the 5 MHz band.

ok, I sorter figured my inexpensive device didn't support it, but can you recommend any that do? Preferably with a realtek engine. I don't mind paying more for it, as long as it works. I get five bars and 270 Mpbs constantly with this realtek. All those name brand devices I tried in the past never gave me more that 3 bars, so I decided to try this cheap puppy
    P.S. if I go with an A adapter, my ap would have to support A too-right?
    Last edited by sillywabbit; 07-26-2012 at 11:02 AM.

802.11a is obsolete. (It came before 802.11b.) Don't even consider using it. It is included for backward compatibility only.
    Your AP and clients must both support whatever standard and frequency band you wish to use.

NICs are a generic product. Get a multi-streaming 802.11n dual band unit with replaceable antennas.
    Personally I only use Intel NICs. My Intel mini-PCI card has 3 antenna connections.
    Last edited by ua549; 07-26-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast