Thread: Using inSSIDer to detect presence of 2.4 GHz wireless headphone

Default Using inSSIDer to detect presence of 2.4 GHz wireless headphone

Hi, I am trying to understand the limits of what can be done with inSSIDer alone, and after reading the FAQ and some forum posts, I am still not clear. When I look at this page:

http://www.metageek.net/land/take-in...source=NewsTab

It says that inSSIDer alone will show the cordless phone and microwave oven as a dome shaped graph. But I can't convince my inSSIDer to display anything when I turn on my 2.4 GHz wireless headphones. These headphones use the 2.4GHz band, but are not WIFI.

So basically, here is what I want to do using inSSIDer. When I turn on my wireless headphone, I want inSSIDer to display something so that I can tell the headphone is transmitting at that band. I don't need amplitude or channel information, just two states (signal present, signal not present). Can inSSIDer do that? (based on the above metageek page it can, but it doesn't for me) or do I need a wispy adapter for this?

inSSIDer can only see what your wireless NIC sees. It is stated in the page you referenced.
    You'll need a Wi-Spy to see non wi-fi signals because your wireless NIC ignores them.

taydin,

As ua549 stated, inSSIDer is only able to see what your wireless card can see. What that means is that inSSIDer will only display Wireless Network information (in other words, it will show you AP's in range of your area).

The picture is to show you that you CAN'T see the cordless phone with inSSIDer. Notice, the picture on the right with the Wi-Spy+Chanalyzer, the huge red spike. That's the cordless phone. Now look at the inSSIDer pic on the left. There's nothing there where the red spike is on the Wi-Spy + Chanalyzer pic.

Below that picture is this quote "You can see what network channels are active with inSSIDer – but you’d never be able to see the cordless phone (above), microwave oven (below), or other interference, which ruins the Wi-Fi for everyone. Use Wi-Spy and Chanalyzer to actually “see” what’s going on in your wireless environment."

In order to see non-WiFi data, you will need to have a spectrum analyzer such as the Wi-Spy and Chanalyzer combo.

Stephen