Thread: 5Ghz channels not visible from Netgear R6300 Router

Default 5Ghz channels not visible from Netgear R6300 Router

Hi...I don't see my Netgear R6300 router in the 5Ghz channels at all. Is that because my Atheros AR5B97 B/G/N adapter is not 5Ghz compatible and does not recognize the signal? the R6300 says it is broadcasting, but, the Netgear R6200 5Ghz adapters are not available yet so I can't test it. Want to make sure it is working. Thanks!

inSSIDer can only report on what your adapter sees.
    There are many 5 GHz wi-fi adapters available.
    Wi-fi adapters are commodity products and should work with any wi-fi router/access point.

Apology, I didn't note that the Netgear R6300 router can operate in the newer 5Ghz AC band. That's what I'm looking for. If my adapter only sees 2.4Ghz B/G/N, which I do see in inSIDDer, then I suppose the 5Ghz AC or otherwise would not be visible. inSIDDer does tell me the R6300 is running with a max rate of 450Mbps in the 2.4Ghz channels. I think that means it sees the N band running at 40Mhz. Trying to understand how all this works and if the R6300 is actually broadcasting in the AC band, like it says it is. Thanks.
    Last edited by ROK; 09-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Hello ROK,

I want to mention that inSSIDer doesn't really "see" anything. It uses your wireless card/adapter to "see" (get the data to show it to you). So whatever your wireless card/adapter sees or doesn't see, inSSIDer will see or won't see.

Stephen