Thread: inSSIDer 2.1 questions

Default inSSIDer 2.1 questions

Hey all! I'm new to the whole internet thing and not sure what some stuff means. I have a couple questions, any help would be much much appreciated! Thank you ahead of time and sorry if these questions seem dumb!

What does the Max rate mean? Mine is at 144. Does that fall under the mode for my router channel bc I have it set to 300mbps?

RSSI? My RSSI jumps between -33 to -48

Lastly, I've been told Channel 1,6, and 11 is best used but they all have quite a few people on them. So i went with 10 where no one has it. Is that ok?

hello jsayers,

All these questions are answered in our inSSIDer user guide. You can check that out HERE

For your last question, no. adjacent channel interference is worse than same-channel interference. Channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap with each other so they will not cause adjacent interference on each other. It's best to pick one of the channels 1, 6, or 11 generally due to the fact that some same channel interference is ok, especially if the other networks are quite a distance away.

This is up to you though. Pick 1, 6 or 11 and see your downoad speed. Then pick 10 and see if your speed increases or decreases.

I would also recommend watching THIS VIDEO

Stephen
    Last edited by Stephen; 09-07-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Actually Stephen, I just finished the inSSIDer user guide and the Max Rate is NOT explained or defined at all in it. On user guide page five where the Network Table Data Columns are listed - Max Rate is missing. Based on what you said in another thread and other posts - it appears that Max Rate is the wireless router's maximum thru-put. I have two wireless routers - my Motorola Gateway which only tops out as a G, and a LinkSys WRT160N which is hard wired into my Gateway. The Gateway, running 11b/11g Standard instead of enhanced (to support my Palm T/X) for the Network mode, only shows 11 as the Max Rate while the WRT160N, running Mixed (instead of Wireless-N only) for the Network mode, shows 144 for a Max Rate. I would guess that if I switch the WRT160N to Wireless-N only that the Max Rate would show up as 300. However, my six year old wireless G laptop would not connect with Wireless-N only net mode. It appears the best wireless router would be the simultaneous dual-band units that allow you to configure both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    hello jsayers,

All these questions are answered in our inSSIDer user guide. You can check that out HERE

For your last question, no. adjacent channel interference is worse than same-channel interference. Channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap with each other so they will not cause adjacent interference on each other. It's best to pick one of the channels 1, 6, or 11 generally due to the fact that some same channel interference is ok, especially if the other networks are quite a distance away.

This is up to you though. Pick 1, 6 or 11 and see your downoad speed. Then pick 10 and see if your speed increases or decreases.

I would also recommend watching THIS VIDEO

Stephen