Thread: Extremely high off the chart signal levels

Default Extremely high off the chart signal levels

My daughter is at college in an apartment complex where there are many (30 or more) routers that are broadcasting all the time. She was having ongoing intermittent connection and throughput issues, so I tried to help fix the problem using Inssider. In the process of fixing the intermittent connection, I noticed several signals (as viewed on the screen that shows the flat-top graphs) that go off the top of the chart. Those same signals have a signal strength of zero as shown in the RSSI column.

Why? 90% of the signals appear properly within the graph window. The overpowering signals appear to be regular APs as indicated by the Vendor names, SSIDs, Security-types, etc... Is this an anomaly with Inssider? Is this an anomaly caused by the wireless card in her laptop? I find it hard to believe that several routers in unknown locations throughout the apartment complex could possibly have this type of signal strength.

It doesn't appear that these signals are affecting performance on my daughter's laptop. The connection is stable and web pages are rendered quickly.

If my descriptions of the problem aren't adequate, I can ask her to send me a screen shot of the Inssider graph so I can post it.

For reference, my daughter was using an old 802.11B router on channel 6 when she was having problems. She is now using an 802.11N router on channel 11. So far, it seems to be working fine. I'm just curious as to what is causing the giant signal levels. Is it real or an anomaly? If it's real, I want whatever it is that they are using

2. Default

Thank you for posting your question.

inSSIDer reports the values it receives from the wireless card. Unfortunately if the card sends us a 'null' value it will be graphed as a 0 dBm. This is unfortunate because 0 will be the highest value inSSIDer sees. The networks are likely not over-powered but the wireless card itself is reporting bad values to inSSIDer.

This should be handled better by the software, but in its current implementation you will need to just deselect the networks with such behavior.

Default 0 dbm

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Thank you for posting your question.

inSSIDer reports the values it receives from the wireless card. Unfortunately if the card sends us a 'null' value it will be graphed as a 0 dBm. This is unfortunate because 0 will be the highest value inSSIDer sees. The networks are likely not over-powered but the wireless card itself is reporting bad values to inSSIDer.

This should be handled better by the software, but in its current implementation you will need to just deselect the networks with such behavior.
    Thank you. I figured it had to be something like that. Everything else that I saw indicated that I was looking at a regular router signal in a nearby apartment. Since you indicate that the bad or null value comes from the wireless card, maybe Inssider could reserve a color (like red) for signals that have a null value. A statement in your FAQ giving the explanation you just gave would also be good. My apologies if it's already there. I looked and couldn't find anything, which is why I posted my question here.

Thanks again.