Thread: Strength and score.

Default Strength and score.

I am using Wi-Spy DBX a newly installed Chaneliser 4. I have InSIDDer for android and InSSIDer on my window based machine.

I am sat 4m away from an AP on Channel 11

Channelyser shows me that the value of the channel 11 network -31dBm There are 6 other networks broadcasting on channel 11 the next highest value being around -65 dBm

Channel 6 has 6 Wifi networks and overlap from channels 4 and 5

Yet when I run inSSIDer it tells me that Channel 6 has the highest score. (I guess I don't understand what that means)
    Can anyone clarify why this may be? Is it due to interferance? Why do i not see that on Channelyser?.

2. Default

This is a great example of the differences between Chanalyzer and InSSIDer. InSSIDer uses your WiFi card to view what networks are out there, and what channels they are on. WiFi cards can only see WiFi, they ignore/work around all other types on interference.

Chanalyzer on the other hand uses the Wi-Spy DBx to view not just radio frequency generated by WiFi, but EVERYTHING else in 2.4/5ghz. This includes cordless phones, baby monitors, security cameras, Bluetooth devices, Xbox 360 controllers... the list goes on and on. Since Chanalyzer can get a more accurate view of what is out there, it's going to give you a different (and decidedly more accurate) score.

InSSIDer is great, it's just limited by the hardware it's designed to work with.

You must also remember, the lower the db number, the stronger the signal...

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by RASelkirk View Post
    You must also remember, the lower the db number, the stronger the signal...

Russ
    Not exactly. The higher dBm number indicates a stronger signal. In other words -50 dBm is a higher number than -70 dBm.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Not exactly. The higher dBm number indicates a stronger signal. In other words -50 dBm is a higher number than -70 dBm.
    I've gotten into the habit of disregarding the "-" sign, so you would be technically correct...

Russ

It is easy to disregard the "-" sign unless one deals with strengths greater than 1 mW. 1 mW = 0 dBm.
    Anything more powerful is a positive number.