Thread: Increasing WiFi coverage with two routers

Question Increasing WiFi coverage with two routers

Hi,

I have two routers of different makes. After researching on the Internet I found instructions that should have enabled me to use two wifi routers to improve coverage within my home. Basically, I have a wired wifi router in the basement and I added my second wifi router (also wired) in the upper floor of my home.

I setup both routers with the same SSID/Password and security settings but different channels on the 2.4Ghz band. Also, the wifi router on the upper floor had no DHCP enabled making the basement router the DHCP server.

Unfortunately, this setup did not work very well. When I would be closer to the basement with my iPhone it appeared to perform well. However, when I would be closer to the router on the upper floor the iPhone would become very sluggish even though the signal strength was 100%.

Does anyone have any tips regarding such a setup?

Thanks.

If the upstairs router is not connected to the basement router via LAN, the effective bandwidth will be cut in half.
    A second access point or router that uses only wi-fi must relay traffic over the wi-fi network thus doubling the amount of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    If the upstairs router is not connected to the basement router via LAN, the effective bandwidth will be cut in half.
    A second access point or router that uses only wi-fi must relay traffic over the wi-fi network thus doubling the amount of traffic.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear but both routers are on the same wired LAN.

Sorry I missed the (also wired). Are both routers configured to use only 802.11n? Allowing a mixture of protocols such as g & n can slow throughput. Another possibility is interference or other traffic causing congestion. What channels are in use? Can you post screen shots of inSSIDer from downstairs and upstairs that show the RSSI and other AP's? Are you sure the iPhone is connected to the upstairs router? It is possible that it is still connecting to the basement AP at a slower speed.

FWIW I have a 4 AP setup at home on the 5 GHz band and my devices do not always connect to the closest AP.

Your point about g & n could possibly have been the problem. I had made sure that the routers were on separate channels basement being at 1 and upstairs at 11. There were no adjacent channels and although there were 5 or 6 AP's on each of those channels my routers had the strongest signal by far. Unfortunately, I removed my upstairs WIFI because it made it impossible to use the Internet. If I have some time I'll set it up again to give a try and get some screenshots of inSSIDer. That's providing I don't have any G wifi devices in the house.

Thanks for your assistance.