Thread: Bad Router, Bad Mac Wifi, or Both?

Default Bad Router, Bad Mac Wifi, or Both?

I'm a bit lost. I was getting a lot of wifi drops on a new Microsoft Surface tablet, so I found my way here. My inSSIDer time plots made on an iMac (running windows 7) showed tons of downward spike on my 2.4 ghz channel, about 1 per minute, from -35 all the way to -95 or so. The 5 ghz channel doesn't do this. (I live in a house and no neighboring signal reaches > -85 or so.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imac signal.PNG 
Views:	217 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	792

I figured that showed a router in need of replacement or at least a firmware upgrade. I did the latter, no change. Out of curiosity, I loaded inSSIDer onto my old lenovo running vista, and the same network (from only a foot over on the desk) shows almost zero drops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lenovo signal.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	793

I've tried letting the Linksys WRT600N pick its own channels, wider channels, hand selected channels. Nothing seems to improve the droppy-looking plot on the iMac. The Lenovo plot experiences a few similar downward spikes, but they're much more rare.

Anyone got any ideas as to whether the router or the iMac wireless are the problem? I have too many variables here, and not enough experience to judge what's most likely.

Make sure the Surface wifi antennas are not obscured. They are mounted on the backside of the motherboard.

On the 2.4 GHz band there may be interference from non-wifi sources. A spectrum analyzer will show such things.