Thread: Maximum Rate drastically changed with replacement router

Default Maximum Rate drastically changed with replacement router

I'm reading that the Maximum Rate is the value an AP is capable of transmitting. Does this have to do with signal strength, as in, reaching the router from a greater distance? My original router was getting 450, and having been replaced under warranty, the replacement device is getting 219. Should this be a concern?
    Thanx.

AFAIK max rate is based on protocol and the number of streams, i.e., 802.11n with 3 streams equals 450 mbps capability. Every AP can downshift to a lower rate based on signal strength and/or signal quality.

3. Default

Also keep in mind that you almost never get full speeds like that out of your router. For example, my 802.11g AP at home is capable of 54MBps, but after signal degradation and management overhead frames (Eye P.A. gives you a breakdown of all that stuff), I'm really getting 24 or 36 MBps, tops. But considering that most of my data transfers originate from the internet, to which I only have a 12MBps connection, 802.11g is totally sufficient for my needs.

I suppose scp'ing files to my server over WiFi can be a bit slow sometimes, but it's not that bad.
    Last edited by Joel; 12-17-2012 at 08:49 AM.