Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LinSSID for Linux

Default LinSSID for Linux

Just FWIW. Having too much time on my hands and some desire to learn Qt4 in C++, I developed a wifi scanner similar to Inssider2 for Linux, called LinSSID. I'll be the first to admit that it's nowhere near as slick as Inssider2 on Windows; but what the heck, it works and it kept me out of more serious trouble for a few weeks.

I'm looking for testers. It's available on sourceforge.net and launchpad.net (search in those places for linssid). It's available in .deb package for Debian, Ubuntu and similar; in both amd64 and i386 packages. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Best regards,
    -Warren

ps. As of January 8 2013, version 1.8a is current. I hope (fingers crossed) that it fixes most of the problems encountered with odd characters in passwords. Please let me know.
    Last edited by Warren; 01-08-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: code update

Thumbs up

Hi Warren,

Trent and I just tried it (I'm running Ubuntu 12.04, he's running 12.10), and we couldn't get it to run. It prompts me for a password (and not accepting it). Running it as root causes it to not prompt me for the password, but the program locks up.

Still... we are pretty stoked! Can't wait to see it running!

.deb packages are available here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lins...urce=directory

To add the LinSSID PPA in Ubuntu 12.04:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/wseverin/ppa/ubuntu precise main" to your sources list

Ctrl+X to exit nano, Y+Enter to save the sources file

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install linssid
    Last edited by Joel; 01-04-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

I just pulled the amd64.deb from sourceforge, installed it in a 12.04 x64 vm and it fired right up. Its not seeing my alfa yet, but that could be a virtualbox issue. I'm noticing when I hit the dropdown for interface I'm getting: http://d.pr/i/wzEQ

I'll fire up strace and see if I can't narrow this down further. So far its looking pretty good though!

--Badger

edit: re-ran with strace (dumping to a file for you if you want it) and still no interface listed, drop-down won't work. Decided to hit run, and it works! http://d.pr/i/JD9b

edit_2: http://d.pr/f/SeVS < strace text file, 76k lines.. Figured a raw dump was better than nothing.
    Last edited by Badger32d; 01-04-2013 at 10:53 AM.

[QUOTE=Badger32d;20102]I'm noticing when I hit the dropdown for interface I'm getting: http://d.pr/i/wzEQ

Thanks!!!! What I need desperately right now is feedback on bugs like this.

First guess is that the available wireless ports are being reported in some unusual way. Can you send me the text listing of "/proc/net/wireless"? wseverin (usual symbol) warsev (usual symbol) com. It should look something like this:
    Code:
    Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
     face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 22
      eth1: 0000    2.  -71.  -95.       0      0      0      3      0        0
     wlan1: 0000   41.  -69.  -256        0      0      0      0    371        0
    Much appreciated!

-Warren

I have just posted LinSSID version 1.8 to sourceforge.net and launchpad.net. This version has the feature upgrades of version 1.7 as well as stability improvements. Specifically, password recognition has been improved by using strong quoting between c++ and bash. Also, wireless port discovery has been improved. And, initialization of defaults on initial install or upgrade has been improved. I hope some of these code changes solve some of the crashing problems.

Please test it and let me know!!

-Warren

Hey Warren,

Sorry that I don't have time to dig further into this, but LinSSID 1.8 is working great now except for one thing. The only problem that I have is that my password (which has special characters and stuff) doesn't work, LinSSID doesn't do anything after I enter it. If i change my password to "password," it works great. When I have some time I'll try to get you a log.

Beyond that, it's looking great!
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Hey, Joel, I really appreciate you taking the time to try it out. As of yesterday version 1.8a is current. The "a" is an additional improvement in the password handling. The real problem is special characters that require escaping in different contexts. What starts out as a QString (with its rules) then goes to a c++ std::string (with its own rules) and then gets passed to a shell command line string. It's the escaping in the command line that's particularly troublesome. If the fix in 1.8a doesn't do it for you, I'll need to get out some heavier weapons. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Again, Thanks!!

Hi Warren,

Thank you for taking the time to write LinSSID! Looks like 1.8a fixed the problem, my usual complex 72-character (not really) password worked.
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Default Howto find and install libc6 ver. 2.14 on Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

Linssid requires libc6 >= ver. 2.14. I am running Ubuntu 11.10. Libc6 version only 2.13. Can I install the newer libc6 version without crashing my system? Where can I get it and how can I install it? I looked for it at synaptic and the ubuntu software center but could not find it.

At this time I do not wish to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04/12.10.

Thank you for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Just FWIW. Having too much time on my hands and some desire to learn Qt4 in C++, I developed a wifi scanner similar to Inssider2 for Linux, called LinSSID. I'll be the first to admit that it's nowhere near as slick as Inssider2 on Windows; but what the heck, it works and it kept me out of more serious trouble for a few weeks.

I'm looking for testers. It's available on sourceforge.net and launchpad.net (search in those places for linssid). It's available in .deb package for Debian, Ubuntu and similar; in both amd64 and i386 packages. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Best regards,
    -Warren

ps. As of January 8 2013, version 1.8a is current. I hope (fingers crossed) that it fixes most of the problems encountered with odd characters in passwords. Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by mumi009 View Post
    Linssid requires libc6 >= ver. 2.14. I am running Ubuntu 11.10. Libc6 version only 2.13. Can I install the newer libc6 version without crashing my system? Where can I get it and how can I install it? I looked for it at synaptic and the ubuntu software center but could not find it.

At this time I do not wish to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04/12.10.

Thank you for your assistance.
    This would be a great place to start with this issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast