Thread: wireless repeater

Default wireless repeater

hello can anyone help me set up a wireless repeater system in my home.
    My house is 35oo sq ft and my signal is week upstairs.
    I know that i need to routers, which i do have both the exact same model.
    both are Netgear N300 WNR2000 v3.
    So any help would be appreciated.
    Also, im new to all this, so if possible talk to me like a dummy or a 5 year old.....just beening honest.
    thanks

2. Default

Hi gonzalez,

First off, I can't say that I recommend using a repeater. They work, but they slow things down quite a bit.

Instead, I would recommend using your second router as a second "access point". Here's the basic instructions, and if you don't know what something is, ask, or even better, Google it. Google is your friend.

You'll need to run an Ethernet cable from your router to your new "access point." It may have to be a crossover cable. Then, on the second router, you'll disable DHCP (DHCP hands IP addresses out to all of the computers on your network, and you don't want two DHCP servers trying to hand out addresses!).

Next, you'll need to look at your router to find out what IP address it is using. Usually, they are 192.168.0.1. If it is, set your new access point to 192.168.0.2 or similar. The last digit just needs to be different.

Next, set your second access point to have the same network name (SSID) and passphrase (you are using WPA or WPA2 encryption, right? Right?). That way, if you connect to one access point with a laptop, but you move to the other side of the house, your laptop will connect to the stronger access point automatically.

The last thing you'll want to do is put the two access points on different channels, so that they don't interfere with each other. The three channels that don't overlap are 1, 6, and 11, so use one of those on each access point.