Thread: broadband noise at client site

Default broadband noise at client site

These are captures taken from a 2 story older, mixed use building on a large college campus, during a holiday...

Any ideas what may cause this large background noise and the variation? Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	client site.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	851

2. Default

Hi weefee,

Thanks for posting the screenshot! I see several things going on here.

In the first image, I see the flat tabletop shape of an 802.11G/N network with the shoulders sloping down on each side. On the right, the noise floor is raised a bit, it it's outside of usable US 802.11 spectrum, so it won't bother anything. It's probably your laptop; my laptop has a 2.4 GHz processor, and it does the exact same thing. In my opinion, that is all kinds of cool!

Since the shape is green, it looks like the network is in use, but not a ton. If it was pushed closer to the breaking point, that shape would be yellow or red, since red indicates constant activity, and blue indicates occasional activity.

On the second picture, I see another flat tabletop with even more distinguished shoulders. It's louder than the network in the first pane. Since it's blue, it looks like the network is being lightly used. The raised noise floor on the right is still present, probably because you are using the same laptop. Again, it's up on channel 14, which we can't use anyway, and it would probably drop away if you moved the Wi-Spy away from your laptop (not possible here obviously).

Let me know if you have further questions!

be sure laptop is not associated to any wifi when capturing, that can be a source of noise