Thread: Rssi

Default Rssi

hello, ive scanned my network with inssider and it telling me that my rssi is about -25 and everyone else around me is between -75 - -95. why is my so low and how can i change this, also its telling me that my max rate is at 54 and everyone else is 150 or 300, i don't understand why mine is so different, i would appreciate any help, thanks

Which one is warmer: -25 degrees or -75 degrees? ;-)

gonzales, as wavelan indicated, your AP's (router's) -25dbm signal is much stronger than that of your neighbors. It's even stronger (smaller negative number) than that of my AP when my PC is close to it. You can see the comparison by checking the signal graphs via inSSIDer where the height of your AP's signal will be much higher than the others.
    As far as the AP's max data rate, I'm pretty sure this is a design spec from the mfgr. Knowing which type AP would also help verify the max data rate. For example, an "n" router has the capability of a higher data rate than a "g" router.
    I've been reading here on the forum that an AP's max data rate does not mean you will actually attain that rate. There are several factors that limit the max actual rate. One example is where you have more than one piece of gear connected to the AP. If you have three pieces of hardware using the same AP and one of them is "g", your "n" router will slow down to the speed of that slowest signal user.

thanks , i think im starting to understand

That number is amazing! I sit < 10 feet (line of sight) from my router and have -48 signal strength.

Russ

I agree, Russ. My RSSI is -45, and my PC is only about three feet from my AP!

The firmware in the access point/router can make a big difference in not only signal strength, but throughput as well.
    The AP's I have that run third party firmware have an RSSI between -25 and -30 unless I'm 3 or 4 walls away.

I highly recommend DD-WRT firmware because of its added functionality.
    In some AP's the transmit power can be manually set.
    That said, one must not exceed the FCC limits on radiated signals which vary by frequency.

From the DD-WRT website:

DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I highly recommend DD-WRT firmware because of its added functionality.
    +1!

Also, keep in mind that RSSI is an arbitrary, manufacturer-set scale. It varies wildly from vendor to vendor.