Thread: inSSIDer for Mac

Default inSSIDer for Mac

Hi,

Why is inSSIDer for Mac not free, and free for Windows?

If it's because to get it in the App Store, why is there no download on the site?

2. Default

Hi Matt!

inSSIDer 2 for Windows is an open-source project with community contributions, so it's free. inSSIDer for Mac was developed 100-percent in-house by our development team, so we set the price at $5 to recoup our development costs.

Thx for replaying.

So it's not possible to get the version of Mac free? Instead for windows

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matt110 View Post
    Thx for replaying.

So it's not possible to get the version of Mac free? Instead for windows
    Hi Matt,

Unfortunately no, inSSIDer for Mac is $5. Alternatively, you could run inSSIDer 2 for Windows in a virtual machine, with a USB wireless adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Hi Matt,

Unfortunately no, inSSIDer for Mac is $5. Alternatively, you could run inSSIDer 2 for Windows in a virtual machine, with a USB wireless adapter.
    Maybe thats an idea.

Thanks!

I think it's a little unfair that I had to pay of the Mac version only to find that it lacks the filtering and scoring features of the free Windows version. Do you have plans to upgrade the Mac version with the extra features?

7. Default

Hi Splinters,

We do have plans to update the Mac version when we have time.

With the release of inSSIDer Home and inSSIDer Office for Windows, our strategy has changes a little bit. inSSIDer Home is currently free, but it helps drive users to purchase inSSIDer Office, which helps us keep the lights on at MetaGeek.

Since inSSIDer for Mac has no upgrade path to a paid version, we offer it at a very low cost, which is $5.

Hi Joel,
    I hope you able to assist or shed some light on this situation, Bare with me here, i have to explain everything so you can understand the predicament we in here in the office.
    Im a Wireless Engineer and we do Survey's for WIFI installations and we use inSSider to test the AP strength and signal strength works very well with windows. I have a MacBookPro and i payed for the inSSider app and it works well with my onboard wifi card, problem is its not picking up my USB wifi adapter even when im connected with it and using the data from the AP, the USB adapter picks up the AP and i connect to it but inSSider is not picking up that i have a USB adapter connected, it keeps telling me to switch on my wifi card? Reason why this is important as we have a specified USB wifi adapter that all the engineers have to use to get the same reading so we can all have a universal test of the wifi signal.
    now in windows the insider program allows me to choose either the onboard card or a USB adapter, it picks up when i insert the usb adapter and allows me to use it, Why does the inSSider on the mac not pickup or allow me to choose a USB device once connected? also the free program in windows has more settings and options than the paid app in mac why?
    your help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. this is literally riding on us using a different app if we cannot get it to work.

Thanks!

Richard