Thread: Unable to see details on 5ghz network

Default Unable to see details on 5ghz network

I just downloaded inSSIDer 3 and noticed that I cant see any details on my 5ghz band. I am using the Asus RT AC66U wifi router.

Do I have to enable this somewhere in the program?

I can see the details on my 2.4ghz network but not 5ghz network.

Presuming that the computer running inSSIDer can receive 5 GHz signals and not just your router, click on the view menu and make a selection.
    Old Mod by the Sea

I have the same problem. So ua549 you are stating I can't see 5Ghz unless my computer can receive those signals? I would have to say most computers can't so is there a way to show the routers signal for 5G?

Can a computer with no wireless adapter receive wireless signals? Noooo.

inSSIDer itself has no ability to receive actual wireless signals. It reports
    on the signals that the wireless adapter receives.

The easiest way to see (and use) 5 GHz signals is to get a USB 5 GHz wireless adapter.
    My Cisco AE-2500 dual band USB adapter cost about $25 a few years ago.
    My Intel 5300AGN mini-PCI for my Dell notebook cost $15.
    Th 5 GHz band is virtually empty. My network is the only 5 GHz network within a mile of my house.
    Old Mod by the Sea

5. Default

Hi Darcy,

inSSIDer does rely on your wireless card to see nearby networks, and at this point, most wireless network cards don't see 5 GHz.

For example, my laptop has a B/G/N wireless adapter. B and G are 2.4 GHz networks. N can be either just 2.4 GHz, or both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Since it's B/G/N, you can assume that it's 2.4 GHz-only.

I also have an AE-2500, which is A/B/G/N compatible. 802.11A is a 5 GHz-only standard, so if the A is there, you know it's a dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz) card. It also means that is 2.4 and 5 GHz 802.11N compatible.

I hope that helps!

My work laptop has a 5 GHz compatible LAN card, and my Apple Airport Express (AAE) is also 5 GHz capable. Yet when I connect to it with that laptop I connect to the 2.4 GHz network. Any thoughts?

Are you going through a router or access point? Is 5 GHz supported?
    Old Mod by the Sea