Thread: pls recommend a wifi AP to extend a wired network

Default pls recommend a wifi AP to extend a wired network

Hi guys, I need a 54n replacement for a belkin f5d7130 AP

my config is

1. cable company supplied netgear
    2. a 60' run of cat 5 out to barn
    3. the belkin 54g f5d7130
    4. 3 .. 4 wifi MacOS clients

I don't go wireless out to the barn as there are several good solid stone walls in the way. The belkin does a good job of forwarding DHCP requests back to the cable modem but is (a) a 54g with all the hit on performance (b) seems to be noisy ( i get worse RSSI values out there than in the neighbour hood of the main modem)

So recommendations please for a 54n AP that can handle the CAT5 back to the modem -- an apple AirPort AP I had lying about wont do this neither will the NetGear universal extender

best
    Aldo

Hi Aldo,

60 feet should be just fine for a cat5 run. I have a 100 foot cat5e cable that I use all of the time, granted that is shielded, but as far as I know you should be fine. Are you saying that the two original access points that you tried had signal problems through the cable?
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Cat 5e is good for 100 meters or slightly more than 328 feet.

Any wireless router will suffice. One simply disables the router function and use it as a wireless access point. Connect the
    Ethernet cable to the WAN port. DHCP, if any, should continue to be handled as it currently is because more than one DHCP server on a network segment can cause issues.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Cat 5e is good for 100 meters or slightly more than 328 feet.

Any wireless router will suffice. One simply disables the router function and use it as a wireless access point. Connect the
    Ethernet cable to the WAN port. DHCP, if any, should continue to be handled as it currently is because more than one DHCP server on a network segment can cause issues.
    I wonder what the upper limit for original Cat5 is?
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

The same - 100 meters total per segment.
    In practice the length maximum segment length is 90 meters to allow for patch panel cables.
    As technology has improved, Ethernet cable maximums have remained the same with only the speed and number of pairs increasing.
    Old Mod by the Sea