Thread: What does Channel 11 + 7 mean

Default What does Channel 11 + 7 mean

The inSSIDer shows 11 + 7 under Channel for one of the WiFi device at home. What does that mean? I believe that device is a 11n device, but is used to send 11g data. Thanks.

Jin

That shows channel bonding of two 20 MHz data streams bonded to create a 40 MHz data stream.
    It is part of the 802.11n spec - not 802.11g. The capability is enabled in the wifi router and/or access point.
    Old Mod by the Sea

I can see with inSSIDer that my AP has channel bonding ( 11+7), but my PC scanning (netsh) shows only channel 11 for the AP. What does that mean? Also, does channel bonding has to be agreed by the 2 party (AP and the client communicating with it)? How to I disable it? Thanks.

For the client the channel width - 20 MHz or 40 MHz - is set in the adapter properties.
    Channel bonding in the AP is set by using the administration app that is part of the AP.
    It is usually accessed via a browser.
    Old Mod by the Sea

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jinlu8591 View Post
    My PC scanning (netsh) shows only channel 11 for the AP. What does that mean?
    Are you using netsh in Windows XP? XP predated 40 Mhz channels by quite a few years, so I don't think netsh will acknowledge them.