Thread: Strange Network results (four matching)

Default Strange Network results (four matching)

I've been having wireless issues in my house - mostly since my neighbor moved in. I picked up a new ASUS router (RT-AC66U) and also have a second Netgear - still, I'm having trouble consistently browsing/emailing/etc - mostly from my iPhone but also from my computer (although not as bad). I've adjusted the channels as well. Tonight I fired up inSSIDer for the first time and found something interesting...
    I've got an SSID of HOME-53D8 showing up. That doesn't match his SSID (which is his last name) but might be his Comcast router with Wifi? However, what I see is this
    HOME-53D8 on channel 1, with a mac address of B8:9B:C9:23:53: D8 and then four blank SSIDs also on Channel 1 each with a MAC address one higher than the HOME-53D8 (e.g. D9, DA, DB)

Even stranger, they have a max rate of 450 and are n for the HOME-53D8 and then g,n for the other blank SSIDs.

Any clue what this could be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wireless.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	878  

There is nothing unusual there. What you are seeing is an SMC device, based on the first portion of the mac address - B89BC9. The other mac addresses are logical access points available on that physical router such as 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and guest access for each band making a total of 4 AP's on a single router. Not broadcasting an SSID is a configurable feature of WiFi. Guest AP's are used to restrict services such as not allowing access to the local LAN (Internet only access).
    Old Mod by the Sea

Thanks ua549
    I think my challenge is that this appears to be a HOME router of some sort and to be honest, most of my neighbors are not capable of configuring their router do do what this one is doing. I'm also surprised that the max rate is so high - nothing else around has that kind of rate. Maybe it isn't a "home" router...

Many dual band home routers from Linksys, Netgear, D-Link and others are capable of a 450 max rate. The theoretical max rate for 802.11n is 600 Mb/s.

By 2014 maximum theoretical data rates will jump to 6.93 Gb/s with 802.11ac. The spec is set to be finalized by year's end 2013.

Today's home router configuration is "check box" easy using a browser interface.
    Old Mod by the Sea