Thread: ID noise with inSIDDer on XP or Android

Question ID noise with inSIDDer on XP or Android

I'm trying to get me hands on a spectrum analyzer but would like to get a head start if possible.

I have a problem where my home signal is interrupted. Have done minor testing with inSIDDer (XP and Android). On both the time graphs, I see full scale positive (clipped often) spikes. These sometimes coincide with the interruption and other times not. Height of spike doesn't coincide either. The spikes occur often and are randomly spaced. Viewing in the channel graph, Android version shows ch 6 and sometimes ch 10 going to full scale or clipped well exceeding my level. In the XP version, I see movement in these areas but they never exceed my level. I have a 300bps 802.11n dual antenna DSL modem connected to my main PC. The XP has an 802.11n 300 device also and not sure of speed of Android wifi. I've tried my device on ch 1, 4, 6, 8 and 11 and no difference. Speed is fine except for interruptions. I do fine that the spikes continue at night but are less often.

No bluetooth or cordless in my place. Microwave doesn't change anything when on.

Went to neighbors house and he is on ch 6 and has a simple 54 bps DSL modem and saw the same on both my devices.

Any suggestions of places to look into?

RONC

Can you post some screenshots?
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Joel,

Thanks for the response.

I've since changed the wifi setup to auto channel select so my channel on these is 6.

This really didn't change anything.

Attached are two screen captures from the Android. File Screenshot_2013-05-31-15-17-52.jpg is set with my wifi to analyze and Screenshot_2013-05-31-15-16-32.jpg is my neighbors set to analyze. I couldn't get screen capture when neighbor's band display went to top. My wifi was knocked out just after I did these. Neighbor is 802.11g.

My wifi is i an open area and about 3 feet off of floor. No metal near it.

RONC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-05-31-15-17-52.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-05-31-15-16-32.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	894  

Thanks for posting the screenshots! It looks like non-Wi-Fi interference to me. There must be something intermittently transmitting in 2.4 GHz that is causing the signal to drop. Without a spectrum analyzer, we can't see what is going on.

I'd get a dual-band access point to add 5 GHz support to your network, if your clients support it.
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Joel,

Really appreciate your time and effort.

I'll locate an analyzer and go from there.

RONC