Thread: How to scroll back along the time graph

Default How to scroll back along the time graph

Hey all,

I have just begun using inSSIDer (well done, it's the best free tool I've come accross!) to do a wifi installation on an apartment building (my first) and I'm in a little over my head, and am under a deadline.

So I'm sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I tried searching and google extensively before posting, perhaps I overlooked something

I don't have a GPS unit, and doubt it would work well indoors.

So what I want to do is start inSSIDer, start it logging, close my laptop and use an external wifi adapter on a long usb extension lead and do a walkaround noting where I am at specific time points on a building plan.

Then I want to review the time graph and see the signal strength at the various time points to see how best to place the repeaters. If I could just scroll back that would be perfect.

Any tips or suggestions, all help is appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by brenryan View Post
    I want to review the time graph and see the signal strength at the various time points to see how best to place the repeaters. If I could just scroll back that would be perfect.
    Unfortunately, inSSIDer does not support logging over time. Chanalyzer does, and it supports Wi-Fi scanning like inSSIDer, but it is primarily a spectrum analysis tool. I would recommend using a site survey tool such as VisiWave, TamoGraph, or Ekahau Site Survey for mapping and planning a new network. If the tool must be free, you can use Ekahau Heatmapper, but I do recommend getting professional tools.

Quote Originally Posted by brenryan View Post
    ....to see how best to place the repeaters.
    Use repeaters sparingly! Every hop cuts throughput in half, which kills performance, really, really fast. I only recommend repeaters in homes where there are never more than 4 users, and running cable is completely impossible in the house.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck with the install, and let us know if you have more questions!

Hi, many thanks for the reply.

Yep, unfortunately it must be free. This isn't what I do, it's just a once off. So I can't justify professional grade software.

I'll check out the programs you recommended, thanks.

The install I'm doing is a complex of holiday apartments. So I am going to check the range of the main router and think I may get away with one additional repeater.

It's a pity, if I could just scroll back along the timeline in inSSIDer it would be perfect!!

Maybe a recommendation for a future version...