Thread: Wireless signals fade away and come back

Default Wireless signals fade away and come back

Hey Folks,
    I'm new your posting site, but I have used inSSIDer quite a bit over the past year. My Question is why do the graphics representing the wireless signals constantly fade away and then pop back up again after a second or two? Is this normal behavior for a wireless network or is this the result of interference? Its not just my own wireless network that does this; its also all the other wireless networks picked by my laptop. I have installed inSSIDer on several other laptops, both Mac and PCs, and seen the same behavior.
    Thanks

2. Default

It sounds like your wireless card is occasionally missing beacons from the wireless network. Can you post a screenshot?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signal_fading.JPG 
Views:	455 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	913

That's what I'm observing and I would like to know what does this mean?

I'm having the same trouble, too. Here's a link showing a screenshot of the problem: http://screencast.com/t/VEgVQ6Bp2v

The 5Ghz channel looks smooth and fine, very little variance (-49 to -50dBs). The 2.4Ghz has greater variation and sometimes fades completely out, usually after a minute or two, then it restores again. Sometimes the drop-outs are longer, and connected devices show disconnected from the network. I use a TP-link dual-band WDR4300 router running mixed bgn, auto channel select. If I change it to g only, the signal is mostly non-existent! Weird! Thoughts?

Here's an example where it drops twice in a row: http://screencast.com/t/xb9R1NUuCc

And here's a bad case of it: http://screencast.com/t/yQmhBdHvV

To debug this further, I downloaded insider (auto-correct won't let me spell it right) onto my netbook, too. It does not show the same bad fade-outs as my laptop does. The variation on the 2.4Ghz band exists, but not as badly. There are no fade-outs at all, though, like I'm seeing on my laptop. So, I surmise that my laptop card is funky with the 2.4Ghz band. I just replaced the Dell wifi card with an Intel equivalent (my laptop is a Dell XPS M1530), but the Intel added the 5Ghz band option.

This issue isn't bad if I stay at home and use the 5Ghz band, but it'll be a problem if I move out of the house and have to use the 2.4Ghz band instead, which is likely. Is this a bad WiFi card? Is there something I can do to fix this short of replacing the card? Any thoughts?

inSSIDer is reporting what your wi-fi adapter is receiving. Have you repositioning the computer?
    The 2.4 GHz band is especially susceptible to interference from the environment. Such sources
    of interference can come from almost any kind of electrical equipment such as motors, wireless
    phones, microwaves, . . . They need not be too close. Are you near an industrial area or airport?
    Old Mod by the Sea

When I get home tonight, I'll experiment a lot more than what I was able to do late last night and first thing this morning. I've lived in my home for 18 years, and have had Wifi for most of those years. So, while a small airport is nearby (2 miles or so), and I do have cordless phones a one microwave, those characteristics have been at works for a long time. What's new is 1) I upgraded my router's firmware recently to get a new guest network feature; 2) I replaced the Wifi card in my laptop because the original one stopped working. The router has been in use for six months or so, and it's been mostly steady, although AT&T DSL has been spotty at best.

I'll post back after I get a little more info. Thanks!

Okay, here is the end of my story. I loaded insider onto two laptops and two netbooks, then ran the program concurrently with all computers next to each other and ten feet from my router. The two laptops kept dropping the signal briefly, sometimes simultaneously but mostly independent of each other, whereas the two netbooks never lost the signal. The two laptops have Intel wifi cards; the two netbooks have Qualcomm. Ah - driver issue maybe?

I Googled a bit and found this - the Intel Driver Update Utility - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu . I (wrongly) assumed that Windows Update had found the latest driver for one of my laptops where I'd just installed a new Intel wifi card. The utility showed I was one full version behind (v12 - the latest was v13 for both laptops). I updated the driver and...no more dropped signals!

My only network issue now is my security cameras which run on wifi lose connection periodically. I have to monitor those now to see what can be done. The vendor has already offered me a replacement camera for at least one of the cameras.

Thanks for the great program - it really helped me figure out my wifi problems!