Thread: XP support for Home version

Default XP support for Home version

Hi,

XP is supported on the Office version of Inssider but not on the Home version

What happened?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mayim View Post
    XP is supported on the Office version of Inssider but not on the Home version. What happened?
    Up until now, inSSIDer Home and Office were one program, but we decided to split them into two separate programs with similar codebases. inSSIDer Office was the first one to be split off, so it got the most recent updates, such as Windows XP support. We plan on updating inSSIDer Home soon too to reflect the changes, at which point it will get Windows XP support.
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Hi Joel

I must say i'm a bit confused about your reply.

Both the Home and Office versions support Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 but you say only the office version
    "got the most recent updates, such as Windows XP support"

I did not realise that XP had more recent updates than Window 8 ???

What are these recent updates to XP that you are referring to?

When will these 'most recent updates' be incorporated in the Home code?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mayim View Post
    Hi Joel

I must say i'm a bit confused about your reply.

Both the Home and Office versions support Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 but you say only the office version
    "got the most recent updates, such as Windows XP support"

I did not realise that XP had more recent updates than Window 8 ???

What are these recent updates to XP that you are referring to?

When will these 'most recent updates' be incorporated in the Home code?

cheers
    Hi Mayim,

I'm referring to updates to the inSSIDer codebase, not to updates to Windows XP. The most recent updates to inSSIDer 3, such as Windows XP support, have been added to inSSIDer Office, but not inSSIDer Home (yet). We plan on adding Windows XP support to inSSIDer Home as soon as possible.
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Hi Joel,

I still don't understand why XP support is referred to as 'the most recent update' when Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 were released
    and catered for in version 2, way after XP ?

As you stated - XP was supported under version 2 so it seem it was deliberately removed from the Home code?

Cheers

Software update schedules at Metageek are independent of those at Microsoft.
    In other words Windows 7 updates may have priority over Windows XP or Windows 8.
    If Windows XP software updates are last ones done, they are the "most recent".

inSSIDer version 2 uses a different code base than inSSIDer for Home version 3.
    inSSIDer for Home 3 is a different product from inSSIDer 2. XP support was not
    removed, it was not included in the original release.
    Old Mod by the Sea

ua549 is correct. inSSIDer 2 supported Windows XP, Vista, and 7. It also happens to work in Windows 8.

inSSIDer 3 was a complete rewrite of inSSIDer. Originally, we planned on no XP support, because only a very small percentage of our users were still using Windows XP (Which at this point, is over 12 years old). After receiving user feedback from that percentage of Windows XP users, we decided to add support for Windows XP to the new code base. Windows XP handles Wi-Fi totally differently than Vista/7/8, so adding support isn't a trivial amount of work.

Recently, we split inSSIDer 3 into two programs, inSSIDer Home and inSSIDer Office.

inSSIDer Office is the most recent version to receive an update, so it received Windows XP support. inSSIDer Home is slated to receive Windows XP support on it's next release.

I hope that helps clear things up!
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

Much clearer now

Cheers