Thread: Obvious Q? I think.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Obvious Q? I think.

Just checked my network at home and see that my AP is accompanied by a BT Open AP but both have the same MAC address. I assume then that BT is using my router as an access point!. Is there anyway of disabling BT from using my equipment?

Thanks.

Is BT an SSID? It could be for guest access.
    Post an image along with info about the model number of your AP.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Is BT an SSID? It could be for guest access.
    Post an image along with info about the model number of your AP.
    BT stand for British Telecom (UK). They use peoples routers to provide public APs as I understand it.

4. Default

If the MAC address is similar (usually one nibble off, for example 1C and 1B somewhere in the MAC address, respectively) but slightly different, Virtual SSID's are enabled. BT might have an open SSID for public access that is separated from your home network. It would be interesting to see a screenshot.

Is the router provided by British Telecom?
    What is the exact brand and model number of your router?
    It may be possible to reconfigure it so that public access is disabled.

I would equate BT public access to guest networks on routers elsewhere.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    If the MAC address is similar (usually one nibble off, for example 1C and 1B somewhere in the MAC address, respectively) but slightly different, Virtual SSID's are enabled. BT might have an open SSID for public access that is separated from your home network. It would be interesting to see a screenshot.
    You are exactly right! MAC addresses are 08 and 09. I enclose an image. it's about 10 years old so unlikely. There does not seem to be any access to the virtual side of the router so unless I switch it off I guess I'm stuck with that unless someone can suggest another router perhaps?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myBTRouter.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	910

Have you searched community.bt.com for a solution? There are several threads with varying ways to disable BT WiFi depending on the specific equipment. Here is another possibility.
    Old Mod by the Sea