Thread: Four AP's, One Building

Default Four AP's, One Building

I have two Cisco WAP321 (SSID: WAP321) AP's in our building, one located in the west and one in the east. This connects to our corporate network.
    I have two ASUS RT-N56U (SSID: TriPublic) routers in our building, one located in the west and one in the east. They each connect to their own DSL.

In the west end of the building I have the WAP321 on channel 1 and TriPublic on channel 11. The opposite on the other end of the building. The rest of the signals in the office are routers being setup for customers as we are an ISP. I can't tell if I have this setup the best. Should I turn down the antenna power more on all four AP's so that they aren't "touching" in the middle of the building? I've just had a lot of problems with packets being dropped when the AP's get busy.

Here are some pictures of inSSIDer using a Wi-Spy. The first screenshot is me sitting in the middle of the building. The second is me sitting in the east part of the building, the last is the west part of the building.

http://imgur.com/a/0iK8Y

Any help you can offer would be really helpful, I'm fairly new to setting up networks like this. Thanks!

your problem seems to be overlapping APs, more than one radio operating on the same non overlapping channel and same area generate interference proportional to the amount of traffic

3. Default

Hey 5150cd,

Looking good. A couple of things I would do.

There's a couple of things I want to point out from the first screenshot. On channel 11, you have two networks. The yellow shape in the spectrum tells us that you are using about 40 percent of the airtime on that channel. Move one of those access points down to channel 6 to spread out the traffic a bit.

Also, notice the curve shape. A curve shape indicates 802.11b data rates. Disable legacy data rates/802.11b protection mode, that will speed things up significantly.

As for power levels, you want them to overlap with a signal strength of about -67 dBm. Walk band and forth between them, and if they meet at a level higher than about -67 dBm, turn down the power a bit.