Thread: Android inSSIDer questions

Default Android inSSIDer questions

Hi all, I'm trying to use inSSIDer on the new NEXUS 7.

1) The new google tablet is able to use 40MHz channels on 5GHz. I verified this point on the WiFi network. When using the windows release, we can see that we use channel 36 and the one above. But when using the Android version we can only see the channel 36 and it looks like we were on 20MHz width only.
    Why is the Android version not able to display the actuel channel width?

2) Where can we find any information about the max rate of an SSID?

Thanks
    Regards

When looking at the 5 GHz graphic, the display should show both channels in use. Mine does.

I surmise that there are major differences between the Windows API and the Android API that account for the data variances.

inSSIDer for Windows shows the max rate for an AP.
    Last edited by ua549; 08-30-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    When looking at the 5 GHz graphic, the display should show both channels in use. Mine does.
    I checked with inSSIDer Home on Windows and both channels are displayed. I looked at the WiFi router and the NEXUS 7 is seen as 40MHz 5GHz connected, Short Guard Interval, one stream (150 Mb/s). But the Adroid inSSIDer on NEXUS 7 displays only one 20 MHz channel.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    inSSIDer for Windows shows the max rate for an AP
    Yes and this is a good information that we would have on Android. The purpose would be to deduct the MCS index and all the associated informations. Bu another way of doing that could be to have a direct access to hose informations in Android inSSIDer.

Thanks

Here is a screen shot from my Android Galaxy s4 showing channels 36 + 40 on my home network.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-30-11-49-07.png 
Views:	427 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	912

If the max rate for an AP was available in Android, I believe that the developers would have included it in inSSIDer. Keep in mind that all information comes via the Android API and not directly from the hardware.
    Old Mod by the Sea

I believe you... But it's not realy clear on your screenshot. It looks like it was on channel 40 only....
    Did you configure "2nd channel above" or "2nd channel below". Your screenshot looks like it was on 40 and "2nd channel below"

We use 36+40 (36 with 2nd channel above) for our test too and the chart is on 36 only rather that 36+40.

Thanks
    Last edited by gmcms; 08-30-2013 at 10:47 AM.

6. Default

inSSIDer for Android does not display 40 MHz wide channels. A network using 40 MHz channels will show up as a 20 MHz wide. I'm not sure whether this is due to a limitation in the Android API or not, but honestly I kinda doubt it.

This begs the question about 802.11ac and its capability for 80 MHz wide channel bonding and 160 MHz wide channel bonding in the 5 GHz band. Will inSSIDer support reporting of those wide channels on any of the platforms?

I'm in the process of implementing 802.11ac in my home lab with 802.11ad hardware being added quickly thereafter.
    Old Mod by the Sea

My main big question would be: "will inSSIDer on android support these features or is it unnecessary to try to use android platform to do wiFi audit?"
    Thanks