Thread: Channel Number underlines in inSSIDer channel graph?

Question Channel Number underlines in inSSIDer channel graph?

Using inSSIDer home version 3.0.7.48, I notice colored underscore lines beneath some of the channel numbers beneath the X-axis of the 2.4GHz "Channel Graph." These underscore lines are also shown in the example illustration at the end of the User Guide but do not appear to be mentioned in the guide's text. (Or am I missing something in my reading of the text?) What do the underscore lines and their colors mean?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	channel-graph-numbers.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	914

The green, yellow and red signal indicators beneath the channel number indicates a good, ok and poor signal respectively.
    Last edited by ua549; 09-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Old Mod by the Sea

3. Default

In this example, I think he's referring to the small line underneath each channel number. Blue is the channel that your starred network is on, and red lines indicate channels that have partially overlapping channels on them. They are marked in red, because partially overlapping channels cause the worst type of interference. You always want to share a channel (yellow network shape), not overlap (red network shape).

Thanks! That makes sense. i.e., the red underscores mean that the use of these channels would produce an overlapping situation, not that there necessarily exists an overlapping signal present on those channels. Very helpful answer.