Thread: wi spy 2.4x USB not recogized

Default wi spy 2.4x USB not recogized

Good day,

I have been using my 2.4x for almost two years without a single problem - until today.
    After plugging it in I received a message saying that "USB not recognized..".
    I'm using Win7 and the device was working great up to now.

I have tried different USB ports/re-starting PC etc but with same results.

Device appears in "Device Manager" as "Unrecognized device".

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Problem Resolved: wi spy 2.4x USB not recogized

Quote Originally Posted by mjm.rsa View Post
    Good day,

I have been using my 2.4x for almost two years without a single problem - until today.
    After plugging it in I received a message saying that "USB not recognized..".
    I'm using Win7 and the device was working great up to now.

I have tried different USB ports/re-starting PC etc but with same results.

Device appears in "Device Manager" as "Unrecognized device".

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Solved - hardware connection problem.

After further investigation I found that if twisted the device while plugged into the USB socket (PC), that the device started working again. I did this several times to make sure that it behaved consistently, and it did.
    While twisting it to the right and holding it in that position the correct USB connection was made.

I opened up the unit by (carefully) removing the cover and re-soldered the 4 USB-to-PCB connections.
    Replaced the cover and now the unit works as normally again - even if I "jiggle" it while in the USB socket (PC).

I think the soldered connections take a bit strain during use as the antenna pulls down on the PCB and the USB plug.

Hope this may help someone else.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The first thing I would do it make sure that you are running an up-to-date version of Chanalyzer 4 or Chanalyzer Pro. The latest releases have the ability to perform firmware updates, which might fix your Wi-Spy. To ensure that you have the latest version installed, click "Help > Check for Updates."
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek

I have the same problem.

I haven't used the my wi-spy dbx for years until I tried using it today. When I connected it to my laptop it wouldn't connect. I received a message saying that "USB not recognized..". I then tried it on an older laptop and it DID work. I tried several times. The device worked every time. As an aside, the device got an updated firmware.

I found this thread, and so I tried twisting the device while plugging it into the new laptop. Voila, the device worked again.

Strange. I've never had a usb problem with the new laptop.