Thread: Booster/antenna vs. channel change

Default Booster/antenna vs. channel change

Now that I have been able to get my inSSIDer working and graphing signals, I have the following challenge:

I have downloaded Inssider 2.1 for XP. I have been able to graph the various networks near my home, along with my own network. My difficulty is that my network starts to fade when I am about 35-45 feet away from my router(probably a normal thing). I would like to have good connections when I am outside on our patio, which is 45-55 feet away from the router. I notice, when I am sitting on the patio, that on the graph, there is a stronger outside network that completely covers over my signal. That signal and my signal are both Channel 1. How do I know if I need a booster or antenna or if I need a channel change?

Thanks in advance for your response
    Pwrfdr

2. Default

Hi pwrfdr,

If another network is louder than your network, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as your network is -75 dbm or louder, you should be able to use it.

To improve coverage, I would recommend adding another access point to your network.

I have cable internet service. Does an 'access point' require a cable connection, or just an electrical connection?

Ideally the access point connects to the cable box using an Ethernet cable.
    Connecting the access point via wi-fi will cut throughput by half.
    Old Mod by the Sea