Thread: Monitor mode captures on OSX

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Monitor mode captures on OSX

I'm trying to determine the difference between capturing 802.11 frames in the following ways on OSX (10.8.5). It's a bit esoteric, but I commonly use this method to capture frames for importing into Eye PA, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Option 1: use "airportd":
    $sudo /usr/libexec/airportd en0 sniff <channel>

Option 2: use "airport" followed by tcpdump:
    sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport --channel=<channel>
    sudo tcpdump -I -P -i en0 -w /tmp/capture.pcap (or alternatvely eliminate the -w and watch packets real-time).

From what I can tell:
    Both commands, according to the wifi icon on OSX, put the interface into 'monitor' mode.
    Both commands output a pcap file that is readable in both wireshark & Eye PA.
    Both commands appear to capture management, control and data frames.

The rub:
    Option 1 disconnects you from the network. This is expected, when putting an interface into 'monitor' mode.

Option 2 does NOT disconnect you, provided you've set the channel to the same channel your currently connected to. This has a distinct advantage of keeping your connection up while capturing in monitor mode.

My question: Option 2 does not seem like it should work, or more specifically, it does not seem like I should be able to remain connected while also capturing frames in monitor mode. Has anyone else encountered or looked into the validity of capturing frames w/ Option 2?

My workflow for Eye PA:
    capture frames in OSX, launch VM of windows 7 (parralells, virtualbox etc.), and open the .pcap file in Eye PA via guest-to-host drive sharing. That enables me to use Eye PA when I forget to bring the AirPCap card along.

EDIT: I corrected the sytanx for the "airport" way (Option 2) to include the actual path of the binary.
    Last edited by mike909; 10-25-2013 at 03:12 AM.