Thread: Problem scanning 802.11a channels

Default Problem scanning 802.11a channels

Hello, I'm a newb to inSSIDer, and have run up against a problem whilst trying to scan 5.6GHz channels.

I'm using inSSIDer 3 on W7 - when using the laptops in built 802.11g card, I can scan 2.4GHz networks with no problem.
    I've connected my 802.11a hardware (Ubiquiti bullet) to the laptops Ethernet port, but cannot see any networks evident (I know they are there). Am I missing a configuration setting, or is that hardware not supported.

Like I said, I'm a complete newb and probably doing something very silly!

Eh??? You connected the 802.11a hardware to your computers Ethernet port???? That doesn't sound right to me but i'm happy to be corrected. What is the hardware you have connected?

ok i've looked it up and it seems to be some sort client/AP/bridge. I'm not entirely sure how this would work or indeed if it would work with inSSIDer so i will leave this one to the experts

Is the Ubiquiti Bullet shown as a wireless network adapter in Windows Device Manager?

As far as I know the Ubiquiti Bullet is not a wireless adapter in the conventional sense. It receives wireless signals and converts them to Ethernet signals that are sent to an Ethernet card. inSSIDer communicates with a wireless adapter, NOT an Ethernet adapter. To scan 802.11a frequencies, you'll need a wireless card with 802.11a capabilities. There are many inexpensive usb 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless adapters on the market.
    Old Mod by the Sea