Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wi-fi issues with too many devices?

Default wi-fi issues with too many devices?

is it true if (for example) I have 6 laptops all next too each other that some of them may not be able to connect too the network due to interference from each other ...? also this wifi network is surrounded by many other wifi networks and has other devices connected...

I work for a store and have to update windows laptops in prep for customers, its done via wifi and is a slow connection which i think is DSL also... Iam prepping offline updating programs to use BUT want to suggest to the manager that a switch and LAN cables be used instead...even whilst we wait for this 'supposed' fibre connection gets installed at some stage... right next to my work area there is a tower of switches and god knows what and what looks like coaxial switch on the wall - so could be 'cable' fed

Iam just wondering if Iam right in thinking trying to update 6 laptops (constantly) next to each other over the same wifi is causing issues as yesterday 2 of the 6 would not connect to either the dedicated wifi network or the other used for store demo... just too much interference I think... in the room was wireless streaming of music too by one of the staff which would have been using the same 2.4Ghz band..

any advice welcome... im looking to score points at work to get kept on as its just a xmas thing..

cheers and thanks

Snadge

Here is some WiFi maths for you:

Through put is around 40-60% of your data rate with wifi. So a single wifi client connected at say 150Mbps will actually get around 75Mbps of TCP/IP throughput. That 75Mbps is aggregate throughput so if you have 2 clients connected to an AP, they each get 37Mbps (ish) as the aggregate bandwidth is shared between the 2 of them. So if you take 75Mbps and divide it by 6......

Assuming all clients are connected at 150Mbps they should get in good RF conditions around 10-12Mbps each from the Wifi connection. Now unless your store has a serious internet pipe, i'm willing to bet you are more likely to be limited by your DSL connection rather than you wifi.

Laptops that are all connected to the same AP an on the same channel will all happily work with each other using layer 1 and layer 2 collision avoidance mechanisms to ensure that they all get a chance to send and receive data to and from the access point. They do not "interfere" with each other. More like co-operate. The more devices are connected and using the same channel, the smaller chunk each gets of the aggregate throughput pie outlined above.

thanks for your reply, much appreciated..

the other problem is that there are literally LOADS of wifi networks all overlapping and sitting on top of ours... the store has two wifi networks, the store is in a huge shopping mall and theres LOADS, i checked with inSSIDer and was something like 20 most on 1, 6 or 11 but quite a few in between OURS im sure was on 3..?

i'll try and get a screenshot tonight for you from inSSIDer on the phone, also the router is in another room about 25ft away behind a block wall..it is a Netgear 150Mbps router with internal antenna's

I think the internet connection is cable fed but to what speed I dont know

thanks again
    Last edited by snadge; 11-15-2013 at 03:42 AM.

If you can put up a list of your nearby networks we could suggest a channel to use. Sadly wifi channel spaces in the 2.4GHz space is limited and very well used in most places now. The best you can do is try to avoid your neighbours, but be sure to stick t channels 1, 6 and 11.

If you want to eliminate this problem and it is a viable option then switch to using the 5GHz (802.11a) range. Your router and all client devices will need to be capable of using this frequency range of course.

aww damn I forgot too get screeny...!!

get one on monday, i will set reminder... using offline updates, the network was almost dead (and dead) and some points yesterday even on LAN

its cable fed store by BT... so dunno what it is ...not DSL obviously.. some sort of business cable but speed aint great!!

I will show you pictures of the massive server rack and cable splitter on the wall as well as the wifi congestion

but like i say Iam just using offline updates for now..

we could not use 5Ghz as not all new laptops have 5Ghz...infact MOST of them dont! so no other options

thanks again

If the server you are using for updates is on the local LAN, the internet connection speed is not relevant. That said, it appears that your internet service is provided by Sky. Speeds are in the tens of megabits per second depending upon the level of service purchased. If Sky services are similar to cable services in the US, speeds can be well over 100 mbps. My residential copper cable service is 90 mbps. I can easily double that on fibre.

I suspect that the network speed issue is confined to the wireless portion of your network. The wireless band used does not have to be all the same. There are routers and AP's that are dual band and can handle both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz clients concurrently.
    Last edited by ua549; 11-16-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    If the server you are using for updates is on the local LAN, the internet connection speed is not relevant. That said, it appears that your internet service is provided by Sky. Speeds are in the tens of megabits per second depending upon the level of service purchased. If Sky services are similar to cable services in the US, speeds can be well over 100 mbps. My residential copper cable service is 90 mbps. I can easily double that on fibre.

I suspect that the network speed issue is confined to the wireless portion of your network. The wireless band used does not have to be all the same. There are routers and AP's that are dual band and can handle both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz clients concurrently.
    thanks, but youve missed the rest of the thread where I state this is in a store and not on my home network

the feed too OUR server was dead at times yesterday even on LAN - what they really needs is a Windows Server WSUS that updates overnight and allows us to update from that... but they wont as its costs...

if we used 5Ghz routers then 95% of the laptops Iam setting up would only be using the same 2.4Ghz from that router so it would be in the same congestion scenario...anyway..untill they spend money it would seem offline updating is the way forward

i will get the stats - read earlier posts, this store is in a mega shopping centre where theres hundreds of 2.4Ghz networks... we have 2 - I tried to login to router but things like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 did nothing

I know that "your" server and "your" network is in a store and not a personal home network.
    If the LAN connected server was not responsive to a LAN connected client, there are issues that are beyond wireless networking.

I don't know what you are "setting up", but I doubt that the files you need change on a daily basis and could be cached locally even on a USB thumb drive.

In my experience only home networks use the default private address ranges and addressing schemes such as 192.168.0.1 for a router. You can easily find the IP of your router by running netstat -r or ipconfig from a cmd window.
    Old Mod by the Sea

if you knew this then why mention sky as being my provider? as MY provider is unlikely to be the STORE provider ...therego you mustn't have known or realised..??

and again, if you truly read the whole post you would have read the following which states...

I work for a store and have to update windows laptops in prep for customers, its done via wifi and is a slow connection which i think is DSL also... Iam prepping offline updating programs to use BUT want to suggest to the manager that a switch and LAN cables be used instead...
    so I only need to update one stick say weekly/fortnightly (at home) and copy that to 4 other sticks on a USB HUB and thats it until they sort out the internet issue themselves

thanks for your help though, I appreciate it and will try your CMD command when next in...

cheers

In a US English context "you" and "your" refer to the network being discussed. I could have as easily used the article "the" without changing the meaning. I'm sorry that my comments were not clear to you.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast