Thread: security and etc

Default security and etc

I have several questions which I hope someone will tackle for me.

inSSIDER displays my network security as WEP, however, it is actually WPA2-Personal. What is the problem? It is also showing my RSSI as -46 the lowest in the neighborhood. I am using a Linksys WRT120N, perhaps I need to upgrade my router? I am considering a Cisco-Linksys EA6200. Does anyone have any thoughts about which router to choose?

Best wishes to all and will appreciate any responses.

Chas

Regarding signal strength, -46 dBm is very, very high. Don't forget the minus sign (-); -46 is higher than -60.

You won't get the full benefit of the Linksys EA6200 until the clients wireless adapters are also upgraded to 802.11ac.
    Old Mod by the Sea

I thought I would add a question to this thread. I just installed inSSIDer for Home 3.0.7.48 on my PC. I have a Verizon Actiontec M1424WR.Rev 1 set for WPA2. The security tab on inSSIDer, however, shows WPA-Personal instead of WPA2. I verified my settings. Do I have a problem with the router and/or is this a software issue? Would an upgrade of the firmware of the router improve my connection speed? Currently the signal strength is -42 and the link score is 100. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    Regarding signal strength, -46 dBm is very, very high. Don't forget the minus sign (-); -46 is higher than -60.

You won't get the full benefit of the Linksys EA6200 until the clients wireless adapters are also upgraded to 802.11ac.

Sorry, but I do not understand the statement regarding the EA6200 clients wireless adapaters being upgraded. Who are you referring to as "clients"?

Clients are wireless devices that connect to the EA6200. To fully utilize the EA6200 capabilities a wireless device must support 802.11ac. The EA6200 can handle legacy 802.11 protocols at slower speeds.
    Old Mod by the Sea