Thread: Dissappointed

Default Dissappointed

Hoping to get some answers as to why I,m having connection problems in my living room I purchased InSSIDer Office.
    But having a link score of 100% on my screen doesn't mean my connection problems are gone.
    Even lifting my laptop for 50cm shows an massive improvement in throughput although InSSIDer shows no difference whatsoever.
    I'm on a 'clean' 5Ghz channel (as far as InSSIDer shows me). Why do I have connection problems in my living room? What tool can give me the answer if InSSIDer can't?

This seems to be interference of some sort. Have you tried changing channels?
    WiSpy + Chanalyzer can help determine what non wifi, interfering signals are present.

Are there radio sources in your environment such as machinery or other electric equipment?
    How about electronic interference from sources such as airports, seaports, navigation beacons,
    military bases, radar installations, etc.?
    Old Mod by the Sea

Not sure why you are disappointed. inSSIDer is not a WiFi magic wand. You would have done better to research exactly what inSSIDer is capable of doing before setting your expectations so unreasonably high.

You need to use a spectrum analyser to identify any non 802.11 interference.

Quote Originally Posted by svosper View Post
    Not sure why you are disappointed. inSSIDer is not a WiFi magic wand. You would have done better to research exactly what inSSIDer is capable of doing before setting your expectations so unreasonably high.

You need to use a spectrum analyser to identify any non 802.11 interference.
    What about: (Taken from the MetaGeek website product page)
    ---
    Rate the health of your network with Link Score

Want some hard numbers? inSSIDer Office features a Link Score to help you quickly judge the health of your channel placement. Link Score grades your network by taking into account signal strength, channel power, and number of networks competing for airtime. The closer your APís Link Score is to 100, the better. Itís the quickest and simplest way to determine if an AP is on the best channel or not.

---
    If that doesn't create some expectations...

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    This seems to be interference of some sort. Have you tried changing channels?
    WiSpy + Chanalyzer can help determine what non wifi, interfering signals are present.

Are there radio sources in your environment such as machinery or other electric equipment?
    How about electronic interference from sources such as airports, seaports, navigation beacons,
    military bases, radar installations, etc.?
    Thanks for your reply.
    After disabling the 2.4Ghz channel and moving the 5Ghz channel to 100 it improved a lot.
    But it stays a mystery to me way I don't get a degraded link score if receipt is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by gteley View Post
    What about: (Taken from the MetaGeek website product page)
    ---
    Rate the health of your network with Link Score

Want some hard numbers? inSSIDer Office features a Link Score to help you quickly judge the health of your channel placement. Link Score grades your network by taking into account signal strength, channel power, and number of networks competing for airtime. The closer your AP’s Link Score is to 100, the better. It’s the quickest and simplest way to determine if an AP is on the best channel or not.

---
    If that doesn't create some expectations...
    That says to me that it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Other networks that may be on your channel is only half the story. Many other devices use the unlicensed ISM and UNII wireless bands. Your 802.11 adapter is not capable of identifying them, installing this software will not change that.

Hey gteley, sorry to hear that you aren't loving inSSIDer Office.

Did you get a Wi-Spy Mini with it, or just the software? Your wireless card can show you where wireless networks are, but what it can't show is the raw radio frequency activity. If you did get a Wi-Spy Mini, we can check to see how much activity (Wi-Fi or non-Wi-Fi) there is on your channel. If you didn't get a Wi-Spy Mini... try switching to another channel (chose from 1, 6, and 11). If switching to 5 GHz solved your problem, there has to be some interference in 2.4 GHz.
    Joel, Mobility+, ECSE, CWNE #233
    Technical Trainer
    MetaGeek