Thread: Overlapping channel

Default Overlapping channel

hi, firstly, im at a loss why i was redircted to a new forum for insiDDer that then didn't recognise my registered username and password.

thans why im in this forum.

so....i am on channel 11+7, what does +7 mean? and why isn't it just channel 11 or channel 7?

insiDDer shows an overlapping channel, but when i look at the list i see ony one with channel 6 showing. Why is this overlapping.

in australia i have only channel 1, 6 or 11 so it doesn't leave me many choices.

also, i seem to changing channels all the time, just to get the network working good enough to watch videos. It's such a chore every night.

2. Default

11+7 indicates a 40 MHz wide channel. 802.11a/b/g uses channels that were 20 MHz wide. With 802.11n, channels that are twice as wide were introduced. Now, instead of a 2-lane highway, you can use 4 lanes. Instead of just say "11", it says "11+7" to show that it is 40 MHz wide.

Unfortunately, 40 MHz channels don't really work in 2.4 GHz because it is so crowded. We only recommend trying to use 40 MHz channels in 5 GHz. Speaking of which... if you can't get things working in 2.4 GHz, it is likely that the band is over saturated. You may need to move all of your devices to 5 GHz.

All accounts *should have* migrated to inSSIDer.com. If yours didn't create a new account on inSSIDer.com. Thanks!

ok, im more confused than ever.

in your newsletter today it said only channels 1,6 and 11 do not overlap. Yet in the insidder interface it clearly says channels are overlapping when I am on channel 11, the overlapping channels are on channel 6, so clearly they do overlap.

it seems to me when a few users are on channels 1, 6 and 11 I am going to have overlap, and even co-channel and there is zero I can do about it.....no point changing channels really is there.

It all seems like a pointless argument and a lot of waffle with no real outome. Im always going to have overlap and co-channel unless I move to timbuktoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    11+7 indicates a 40 MHz wide channel. 802.11a/b/g uses channels that were 20 MHz wide. With 802.11n, channels that are twice as wide were introduced. Now, instead of a 2-lane highway, you can use 4 lanes. Instead of just say "11", it says "11+7" to show that it is 40 MHz wide.

Unfortunately, 40 MHz channels don't really work in 2.4 GHz because it is so crowded. We only recommend trying to use 40 MHz channels in 5 GHz. Speaking of which... if you can't get things working in 2.4 GHz, it is likely that the band is over saturated. You may need to move all of your devices to 5 GHz.

All accounts *should have* migrated to inSSIDer.com. If yours didn't create a new account on inSSIDer.com. Thanks!

You are using a 40 MHz wide bonded channel. As Joel pointed out, that is not recommended on the 2.4 GHz band because of adjacent channel interference. When multiple users are on the same channel, they are aware of each other, understand and cooperate. Adjacent channel activity is not understood and is considered noise/interference reducing throughput. You will have better throughput by using a 20 MHz channel instead of a band hogging 40 MHz channel. You will see a vast improvement.

You are overlapping channels 4 through 14 and creating interference for neighboring networks!

Last edited by ua549; 03-11-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    Old Mod by the Sea