Thread: whole range dropping off

Default whole range dropping off

strange issue and its building wide. The wifi works great on the 5ghz range but doesn't work at all on the 2.4ghz. Here is my capture. What would cause the entire 2.4ghz range to drop off, and then return like clockwork every 10 seconds?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	996

I was not able to open the wsx file with the current version of Chanalyzer. What you describe is typically caused by background interference. Are you in a heavy industrial area with lots of electrical machinery? Of course there are many sources of RF noise on the 2.4 GHz band such as radar, lighting, electric motors, ...
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I was not able to open the wsx file with the current version of Chanalyzer. What you describe is typically caused by background interference. Are you in a heavy industrial area with lots of electrical machinery? Of course there are many sources of RF noise on the 2.4 GHz band such as radar, lighting, electric motors, ...
    i was sitting in the parking lot outside the business with the issue. I wanted to scan from out there before i moved into the building. I think i figured out the issue though, it was the bluetooth in my truck causing the on/off wifi look. Once i moved into the building it went away and then walking around outside later, it was gone as well.

I am still having issues in the building though. Its a gym, so normal equipment, some tv's, fans, security system, speakers, etc. Ive shut most everything down one by one and the problem persists. Im starting to think the issue is outside the building and have done a walk around and the results were interesting. there is one spot in the middle where the whole bottom 10dbm went red and stayed there. Im thinking whatever is doing that, is causing my issue but i haven't dug much further into it.

A 3min scan in the gym, sitting at the front desk, AP about 15' away is also included. It shows the same type of thing i saw on the walk around but it doesn't show that much noise all the time, and my problem is all the time. The AP is on channel 6 and another nearby in a sublease office is on channel 1.

I can get more detailed on the issue we are having if you need something to go off of.
    Attached Files Attached Files

here is a link to the full capture when i was at the gym. It might be useful in helping me why the connections drop after a few seconds of data transfer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr9zlty586wc5hk/gym-full.wsx

There are too many SSID's (101) competing for the limited bandwidth. All of those overlapping channels are seen as noise, not wifi signals. I'm surprised that you can even get connected. My advice is to stick with the 5 GHz band exclusively.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    There are too many SSID's (101) competing for the limited bandwidth. All of those overlapping channels are seen as noise, not wifi signals. I'm surprised that you can even get connected. My advice is to stick with the 5 GHz band exclusively.
    well i didn't even think to look at how many different SSID's were around there. I was only looking at the closer ones that had decent signal strength. All those extra ssid's are from me walking around the perimeter of the building. Its quite a big building with probably 10 different business in it with apartments behind the alleyway in the back.

From their office space, i can only see maybe 20 different ones at a time. Think thats still too many? and you are correct, the 5ghz band works great in that location but thats not really an option right now since all the customers are still trying to use the 2.4ghz range. only brand new phones work with the 5ghz.

I just watched the intro webinar and learned a lot. One of the most interesting points was the overhead multiple ssid add to a channel. If you do have a bunch of competition in the 2.4ghz range what do you do?

A customer doesn't want to hear "well Joe looks like this place has too many competing wireless access points. Looks like no 2.4ghz for you." Can't you just pump up your amplitude and yell over all that noise?

Or what you can do is jam up channel 6 on purpose and force every one off channel 6, then use it when the coast it's clear.