Thread: Any advantage to using shielded CAT6 cable in an installation opposed to non-shielded

Default Any advantage to using shielded CAT6 cable in an installation opposed to non-shielded

We are at a stand still with some Ethernet wiring runs over a piece of information we received from a Ekahau engineer and wanted to get a second opinion from you experts :-) The question is (I am fairly new to this stuff):
    is there an advantage to using shielded CAT6 cable in an installation opposed to non-shielded? The reason I ask this is we have a lot of interference on the 2.4 spectrum (not for sure yet but I suspect a lot of this interference could be external to the site surveyed and possibly due to harmonics). We were advised to go with shielded cable to use as an insurance policy grounding out any 2.4 or 5 harmonics, etc that might get into the Ethernet.

Thanks for any help/suggestions on this matter!

Gary

Given the choice between UTP and STP I will always use shielded cable. Yes, it is bulkier, harder to install and more expensive. Advantages include blocking EMI (signals entering the wire) and higher security (signals radiating from the wire). If you have the opportunity to consider fibre, do so. Fibre is superior regarding EMI and security. Its distance and speed capabilities are the best.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Thank you for your reply!
    That said, does this apply to just network runs from APs to the switch or would we have to replace all wiring on a network with shielded cable? In other words, can EMI enter anywhere on the wired network and affect the wireless portion of the network?

In my experience EMI is limited to the network segment it enters. In other words a corrupted signal will be detected and stopped at a switch, router or AP and will not propagate throughout a network. That said it is possible for EMI from a given source to affect more than a single network segment because of their proximity to each other. (Think of a bundle of wires exiting a switch being bombarded by EMI.)
    Old Mod by the Sea