Thread: Wideband interference in a warehouse / coldstore environment

Default Wideband interference in a warehouse / coldstore environment

Hi All,

Looking for some help to identify some interference i've detected whilst doing a 2.4 GHz survey within a cold storage environment .

From 1:00 - 1:05 in the attached capture i'm seeing some structured interference right across the whole 2.4 GHz band which looks like lots of little subcarriers.

The environment is a newly installed dual band Aruba AP network with very little external WiFi interference.

See pic here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interference.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	1037

Thanks in advance
    Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by scottdoorey; 04-27-2015 at 09:35 PM.

2. Default

Oops, sorry that I didn't see this thread sooner! Hopefully, you've solved the issue by now, but I do have a couple of observations.

I really like to enable "Color by Utilization", because it draws a "heatmap" (not in the Site Survey tool sense) of how busy the spectrum is. Blue means about 10 percent utilization, and green means about 20 percent. With utilization levels as low as these, there is plenty of time left on the air for 802.11 devices to talk.

If you saw red, then you would want to start worrying, but on this recording, things look pretty quiet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 12.07.24 PM.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	1046

The second thing I noticed, is the curve shapes on channels 1, 6, and 11. Those curve shapes are made by 802.11b activity from your networks. You most likely have legacy data rates like 1, 2, 5.5, and 11 mbps enabled. If you ever start running into performance problems, and see you see yellow or red curve shapes on those channels, then you know that you are running out of airtime. You could disable those slower data rates to force devices to talk faster, and reclaim some of your airtime. Just remember that your coverage areas will artificially shrink slightly.