Thread: inSSIDER Security setting changed to "IHV_Start-IHV_Start". What does that mean?

Default inSSIDER Security setting changed to "IHV_Start-IHV_Start". What does that mean?

Tonight I noticed that the Security field in inSSIDer for one of my networks had changer from "WPA2-Personal" to "IHV_Start-IHV_Start" All the rest of the entries for that network were correct. What does that mean? What could cause it? I have Googled but can't find anything that seems to relate to this problem.

I am using inSSIDer 2.1 on a new Windows 7 Pro, 64, Dell laptop with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. My router is a Linksys EA4500. I have two networks with different SSIDs. One is 2.4 GHz and the other is 5 GHz. Both had strong signals. The 5 GHz had the odd Security setting.

Can anybody explain what is going on?

Thanks,
    Vivian

As far as I know IHV_START is a proprietary authentication algorithm for a specific operating mode of the miniport driver. There is a matching IHV_END. It is defined by an independent hardware vendor (IHV). I've never seen it used.

I suggest that you verify and/or update the driver for Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter using Device Manager along with your network adapters.
    Old Mod by the Sea

Thanks for replying so fast. Will check this out and report results.

Hello Vivian,
    even if I reply a little late, I hope you read it yet. I have found the solution. You have mentioned it in your posting, without even knowing it.
    If you give the two networks different names, inSSIDer recognizes it as "IHV_Start-IHV_Start".
    If the networks have the same name, the security_level is “WPA2-Personal”.
    I have this post for you and for all the user that have the same problem written. The English version is unfortunately a translation with Google translates – sorry when it is not so well.

CU

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    I am using inSSIDer 2.1 on a new Windows 7 Pro, 64, Dell laptop with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. My router is a Linksys EA4500. I have two networks with different SSIDs. One is 2.4 GHz and the other is 5 GHz. Both had strong signals. The 5 GHz had the odd Security setting.

Can anybody explain what is going on?

Thanks,
    Vivian